Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4s front camera freezes after updating to ios 8

I recently updated to ios 8 a few months ago on have noticed that when switching to the front camera the camera app freezes

Here's a screenshot of what it looks when it freezes.

User uploaded file

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 12:23 PM

Howdy KnightClock,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see that the Camera app is appearing black, and then quitting unexpectedly on your iPhone. To troubleshoot this issue, I'd like you to please follow the directions outlined below.

If you see a closed lens or black screen when you open the Camera app, try these steps:

1. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
  2. Force the app to close, then open the Camera app again.
  3. Restart your device, then open the Camera app again.
  4. If your device has a front and rear camera, try both cameras by tapping User uploaded file (camera swap icon). If you see the closed lens or black screen on only one camera, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 12:23 PM in response to KnightClock

Howdy KnightClock,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

From your post I see that the Camera app is appearing black, and then quitting unexpectedly on your iPhone. To troubleshoot this issue, I'd like you to please follow the directions outlined below.

If you see a closed lens or black screen when you open the Camera app, try these steps:

1. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
  2. Force the app to close, then open the Camera app again.
  3. Restart your device, then open the Camera app again.
  4. If your device has a front and rear camera, try both cameras by tapping User uploaded file (camera swap icon). If you see the closed lens or black screen on only one camera, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Iphone 4s front camera freezes after updating to ios 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.