Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not insert photos to Word or Outlook after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.3, suggestions?

Since installiing Yosemite and all updates I have lost the ability to insert a photo into a MS Word document or into an MS Outlook email. Is there a fix?

I drill down in the files to pictures to photo library but see nothing it used to go right to my photos.

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), MS Word & Outlook

Posted on May 24, 2015 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 3:37 PM

My photos are not in/on iCloud. In Microsoft Word 2011 I can use

Insert > Photo > Picture from File ...

and then navigate to the my 'Pictures' folder and insert a picture successfully.

Can't find a direct way of going from Photos to Word. In practice, this is not a big issue for me because in most cases I want to reduce the size of the image, which I do by selecting the image(s) I want in Photos.app, then switch to Preview.app, command-N (New from clipboard). Once in Preview.app I can transfer images to Word by drag and drop from the thumbnails, etc. The neat thing about this workflow is one can select several images in Photos at once and have them all open in Preview with one keystroke.

C.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 3:37 PM in response to dosgator

My photos are not in/on iCloud. In Microsoft Word 2011 I can use

Insert > Photo > Picture from File ...

and then navigate to the my 'Pictures' folder and insert a picture successfully.

Can't find a direct way of going from Photos to Word. In practice, this is not a big issue for me because in most cases I want to reduce the size of the image, which I do by selecting the image(s) I want in Photos.app, then switch to Preview.app, command-N (New from clipboard). Once in Preview.app I can transfer images to Word by drag and drop from the thumbnails, etc. The neat thing about this workflow is one can select several images in Photos at once and have them all open in Preview with one keystroke.

C.

May 24, 2015 4:38 PM in response to dosgator

This problem has been an issue ever since Apple changed IOS from iPhoto to Photos back in 2014 and again since they did the same to Yosemite this year. Even their own Mail app does not recognize that photo's are stored in Photos. My issues are more severe than that, I can always find a photo and copy it to a mail message, but when you're trying to design a webpage that only recognizes iPhoto, that is a different matter. I have been beating my head against a wall to find a solution since I cannot copy and drop a whole folder of pictures for a Flash presentation into a webpage design, it just doesn't work that way. Apple does these little software design changes that really serve no purpose other than change the name of a program. Photos does nothing more than what iPhoto did before, in fact, it is a clumsy change to say the least, especially since other programs don't recognize it, including Apple's own Mail.

The other IOS issue was that Blogger, a Google application for blogging on line, also didn't work when Apple changed the iPhoto/Photos application design. I was over in Europe in the middle of a travel blog and found out I didn't have access to my photo's which were absolutely critical to my work. If I wasn't in the middle of the Vatican I would of said a few choice words.

Now, as far as your issue of inserting photo's into your documents. If it is only a few photo's, and not a whole slideshow, I would put it on your desktop, by dragging it from Photos, and then attaching it to your document or mail document from there. I'm sure that MSW will not recognize Photos nor will your mailer. Welcome to Apple.

May 25, 2015 2:28 AM in response to dosgator

There is no problem for Apple to cure. The fault lay with Microsoft, as is invariably the case with MS software. Furthermore, as Old Toad said, it's a problem that has been fixed by Microsoft in the latest update of Word, i.e. 14.5.x

So, in Word use the

Help > Check for Upddates

and update to 14.5.0 or later.

C.

May 25, 2015 4:03 AM in response to cdhw

On the other hand... I've compared two Macs both running 10.10.3 and Office 2011 (version 14.5.0). One of them (Mac A) worked as Old Toad illustrated, the other (Mac B) shows only 'Photo Booth' in the Word media browser. On Mac B, Console.app gives this information:

25/05/2015 11:29:40.531 Microsoft Word[79417]: Preflight for plugin com.apple.ILPhotosPlugin failed, so it will not load. Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3585 "The bundle “iLMBPhotosPlugin” couldn’t be loaded because it doesn’t contain a version for the current architecture." (dlopen_preflight(/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin): no suitable image found. Did find:

/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin: mach-o, but wrong architecture) UserInfo=0x7e326cb0 {NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=Try installing a universal version of the bundle., NSFilePath=/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBPhotosPlugin.ilmbplugin/Contents/MacOS/i LMBPhotosPlugin, [...]

According to the file command, the iLMBPhotosPlugin is a 'Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64'. I can't for a few hours whether the same message appears on Mac A, but I suspect not.

C.

May 25, 2015 5:35 AM in response to dosgator

I basically did the same thing with Rapidweaver, I made a folder on my desktop and copied/dropped the 55 pictures onto my Rapidweaver design sheet. Fortunately It worked and I was able to have my Flash slide show.

I have been reluctant to upgrade to Rapidweaver 6 because of issues with all the websites I designed not being compatible with it and would require a complete re-design. I do these for free and really don't have the time or money to re-design my websites for all the churches I cover. I'm glad that upgrading Word for you will solve your immediate problems. Have a blessed day.

May 25, 2015 7:06 AM in response to cdhw

Okay, a bit more checking and I can report that I was mistaken about 'Mac A' working with Office 2011 and Photos as Old Toad illustrated. I am now fairly sure that the problem is that Office 2011 is a 32-bit application and the iLMBPhotosPlugin bundle contains only 64-bit executable. The plugins that do work with Office 2011 are, as far as I can tell, all universal, e.g. the Photo Booth plugin, which is:

Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

(for architecture i386): Mach-O bundle i386

(for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

I think Old Toad must have been referring to Office 365 which is available as a 64-bit version, not Office 2011.

C.

May 25, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

There are a total of four iPhoto plugins:

$ ls -d /Library/Application\ Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhoto*

/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhoto8Plugin.ilmbplugin

/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhoto9Plugin.ilmbplugin

/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhotoPlugin.ilmbplugin

/Library/Application Support/iLifeMediaBrowser/Plug-Ins/iLMBiPhotoPlugin2012.ilmbplugin

I'm not sure which of these Word 2011 uses but three are universal binaries containing both 32- and 64-bit versions. iLMBiPhotoPlugin2012, on the other hand, is 64-bit only.

C.

Can not insert photos to Word or Outlook after upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.3, suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.