Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about "Your computer restarted because of a problem"

Hi. I own an iMac which I bought in late 2007. It's currently running Yosemite.

In the past week, the iMac has started shutting down spontaneously and showing a screen saying "Your computer restarted because of a problem." It then says I can press a key to restart my Mac or it will restart on its own.

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. But I'm writing here just to see if people agree.

I had ClamAV do a virus scan on the iMac and no viruses showed up. I also ran Disk Utility and Disk Warrior and no errors were found.

I've never experienced these spontaneous shut downs before this week. I'm thinking the iMac is just finally dying after 7+ years of constant use.

Today I ordered a new Mac Mini to replace the iMac. But I'm planning to migrate the content of my iMac's hard drive to the new Mac Mini using Migration Assistant. So I'm wondering if I should be concerned that these errors could get passed on to the new Mac Mini. Of course, if the errors are hardware-related that won't happen, but I'd like to hear what some people think.

Thanks a lot of reading this and for any thoughts you can provide.

Mirsky

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 7:13 PM

If it truly is a hardware problem, obviously they cannot be passed on to your new computer.

If it's software that is causing the issue, then it depends on how much information you migrate to your new computer. First tip is to use Setup Assistant after starting your new Mac for the first time when it first offers to do migration for you. If you establish a new account before doing so, it will almost always cause issue going forward.

See Move your content to a new Mac. If you are able to fix whatever the software problem is before you migrate, that would be your best solution. If you can't then you need to be careful about what you choose to migrate. If the problem is with a third party application, then you should not migrate them, rather install them all from source. If you believe the problem is cause by old settings that you previously migrated or installed a new OS X over, then you probably will not want to include "Computer and Network Settings". That will mean you will have to manually restore any settings you have changed and may need to provide license numbers for some third party software. You will probably want all your user files, especially if you have the same problem on your old computer when logging into a second (preferably new) user account. Your other choice here would be to drag all the files you need from your old computer using the Finder.

You may be able to confirm a hardware problem by running the Apple Hardware Test which will be located on Applications Install Disc 2 that originally came with your iMac. Ignore the first part of that document as it does not apply to older Macs.

An Apple Tech has access to the Apple Support Diagnostics test which is more thorough. Your model is considered to be "Vintage" which means that depending on where you live there may or may not be parts available for you to have it fixed. Apple may be able to give you a fixed fee for that which will allow them to fix everything they find wrong with it. You can decide at that time whether to cut your losses or have it repaired.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Mirsky

If it truly is a hardware problem, obviously they cannot be passed on to your new computer.

If it's software that is causing the issue, then it depends on how much information you migrate to your new computer. First tip is to use Setup Assistant after starting your new Mac for the first time when it first offers to do migration for you. If you establish a new account before doing so, it will almost always cause issue going forward.

See Move your content to a new Mac. If you are able to fix whatever the software problem is before you migrate, that would be your best solution. If you can't then you need to be careful about what you choose to migrate. If the problem is with a third party application, then you should not migrate them, rather install them all from source. If you believe the problem is cause by old settings that you previously migrated or installed a new OS X over, then you probably will not want to include "Computer and Network Settings". That will mean you will have to manually restore any settings you have changed and may need to provide license numbers for some third party software. You will probably want all your user files, especially if you have the same problem on your old computer when logging into a second (preferably new) user account. Your other choice here would be to drag all the files you need from your old computer using the Finder.

You may be able to confirm a hardware problem by running the Apple Hardware Test which will be located on Applications Install Disc 2 that originally came with your iMac. Ignore the first part of that document as it does not apply to older Macs.

An Apple Tech has access to the Apple Support Diagnostics test which is more thorough. Your model is considered to be "Vintage" which means that depending on where you live there may or may not be parts available for you to have it fixed. Apple may be able to give you a fixed fee for that which will allow them to fix everything they find wrong with it. You can decide at that time whether to cut your losses or have it repaired.

May 24, 2015 7:31 PM in response to Mirsky

Use your original install discs and run Apple's Hardware Test in extended mode 2-3 times back to back. If you don't have the disc take the machine into an Apple Authorized Service Provider and they will check it, don't take it to an Apple Store, it's too old and they will not repair it.

Assuming you have backed up the old computer using Time Machine or created a bootable clone, when you turn on the MM for the first time it will come to a point where it ask if you are migrating from another Mac. Select yes, connect the backup via USB and follow the on-screen instructions to migrate your data. This is the fastest and most direct method of migrating. DO NOT use wi-fi or ethernet.

May 24, 2015 7:50 PM in response to MadMacs0

Hi again. I found the discs. They are dated 2007 so I know they came with my IMac. However, when I put Mac OS X Install Disc 2 into my DVD drive, the icon for "Installing Mac OS X and Applications.app" is a document with a circle and a line through it. When I double-clicked on it, I got an error message saying that "You can't open the application 'Installing Mac OS X and Applications.app' because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." Do apps that are Universal Binaries no longer work on Yosemite? I guess I haven't used a Universal Binary app in years.

Question about "Your computer restarted because of a problem"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.