Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texting to another account holder

My wife and I just got new iPhones. She and I share Apple account numbers, and she and I are also on the same Verizon account.

When she tries to text me, it bounces immediately back to her. I get no notification, although when I check my messages, hers appears.

How can we fix this so that I get notified of a text from her. The same problem in reverse exists: I text her, but she gets no notice. The difference is that my message does not bounce back to me; she is technically the Verizon account holder.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 8:29 PM

8 replies

May 25, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

You can use Family Sharing to sync your Calendars:

https://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

With Family Sharing, you can continue to share all of your iTunes purchases OR

You can keep the current Apple ID as your iTunes ID that both of you use and which you both have signed into the iTunes & App Store on your devices, and then each of you can set up your own Apple ID for iCloud, Messages, FaceTime, Mail, etc.:

Use one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store purchases

You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. When you first set up your device with iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you want to use with iCloud. If you skipped the setup assistant, sign in to Settings > iCloud and enter the Apple ID you’d like to use with iCloud.
  2. In Settings > iTunes and App Stores, sign in with the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases. You might need to sign out first to change the Apple ID.

Mac or PC

1. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use with iCloud on your computer:
    • Mac: Enter your Apple ID in Apple () menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
    • Windows 8: Enter your Apple ID in the iCloud Control Panel. To access the iCloud Control Panel:
      1. Move the pointer to the upper-right corner of the screen to show the Charms bar.
      2. Click the Search charm.
      3. Then click the iCloud Control Panel on the left.
    • Windows 7 and Vista: Enter the same Apple ID in Control Panel > Network and Internet > iCloud.
  2. Enter the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases in iTunes:
    • iTunes 10: Store > Sign In.
    • iTunes 11 or later: iTunes Store > Quick Links: Account.

If you're using Windows 7 or 8 and can't see the menus, learn how to turn on iTunes menus.

Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID for your iTunes Store account, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days.

Learn more

Learn more about Apple ID.

If you use a different Apple ID for iTunes and iCloud, and want to restore from a backup, first enter your Apple ID for iCloud. After your device restarts, you'll be asked to enter the Apple ID that you use with the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Learn more about backups in iCloud and iTunes.

Post back with any questions 🙂

Cheers,

GB

May 25, 2015 2:01 PM in response to gail from maine

So if I use one iCloud password for my desktop, laptops, iPhone and iPad, and she picks another for her iCloud password on her devices, changes to our calendar in any of the devices changes all? I think the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. Is that because our cloud based calendar is still associated with our single Apple store ID?

Should I just enable family sharing? Are there advantages to that versus just changing iCloud passwords? There are only the two of us--no kids or other users of the account.

Thanks for your patience.

May 25, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

Sorry - it is not a password we are talking about here but a totally separate Apple/iTunes/iCloud ID.

I think if you want to share a calendar but are using two separate Apple IDs then Family Sharing would be the way to go. Be aware that all charges for iTunes purchases go to the Organizer's credit card (which doesn't sound like an issue for your situation), unless the other member has an iTunes gift card balance on their Apple ID. If they have an iTunes card balance on their ID, then it will be taken from there first.

Cheers,

GB

Texting to another account holder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.