Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod classic won't auto advance to play next program

Having a problem that's been going on a few months where downloaded programs, like an audio book or podcast, will not auto advance and play the next program in the book/podcast. I can manually select and play the program but can't use the "next" button on the device or on my car.

I've tried checking settings and even went back to factory settings but nothing works. I hate to keep manually selecting and its not safe to do when driving.

I'd appreciate ideas!! Thanks!!

iPod classic, Windows XP Pro

Posted on May 24, 2015 11:32 PM

1 reply

May 25, 2015 2:53 AM in response to Karen93065

The most likely cause is because you have Shuffle turned on.

By default, Podcasts are set by iTunes to Skip when shuffling. (I'm not 100% sure about audiobooks, but I suspect they are also set this way.) So each time a track ends, the iPod will stop because everything else is set to skip (or not play) when shuffling.

You can soon work this out. If Shuffle is on, then the track x of x shown in the Classic's display will say 1 of 1. With Shuffle turned off, the display will show 1 of X (where x is the total number of tracks that will play in that particular list). Note, if you have already started the track playing - and then turn off shuffle, you will have to re-start the list before it will play all the tracks.

ipod classic won't auto advance to play next program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.