Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini stuck in boot cycle

Today my mac mini suddenly froze up while I was working. The screen split vertically and about 1/4 or less of the left side of the screen then showed up on the right. I just had the spinning rainbow wheel and could not force quit applications. I ended up powering off with the power button, then when it tried to reboot, it just kept cycling in the boot cycle and never reach the login screen. I let it go for about 45 minutes like this, hoping that it would eventually "fix itself", but to no avail. I have never had a problem with overheating, but on the off chance that that was it, I let it sit idle for awhile to cool completely, then tried powering up again. While it was off and unplugged, I even tried holding the power button in for 10+ seconds (as I had read elsewhere), to see if that would help when it was plugged in again, but again, when I plugged it back in a powered up, it just cycled and never reached the login screen for me to be able to do anything.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 1:37 AM

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Boot in Safe mode and then in normal mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Next boot to Recovery

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Lion or later and repair the startup disk and repair permission.

If earlier then boot from install DVD.

If still problem and disk repair successfully completed, reinstall the OS either via Recovery or DVD.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 1:37 AM in response to oneslymongoose

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Boot in Safe mode and then in normal mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Next boot to Recovery

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Lion or later and repair the startup disk and repair permission.

If earlier then boot from install DVD.

If still problem and disk repair successfully completed, reinstall the OS either via Recovery or DVD.

Mac mini stuck in boot cycle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.