Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed OS X server but cannot login online. My admin setup password does not work.

I'm brand new to the OS X server that I installed on my new iMac. I am running Yosemite 10.10.3 (Latest update) and 8 GB's of RAM. When I try to go online to login from the app. it asks for a password and username that only works if I use diradmin as the username. However, It also says that I do not have the proper permissions to go any further after my password works with that username.

It is strictly for home use and not a business so I don't really even need the server but I am a curious type and tend to dive into the water to see how deep it is. Again, I have never used a server before so I thought I should learn, at least, how a server works and $19.00 is cheaper than going back to college.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 24, 2015 8:55 PM

6 replies

May 25, 2015 1:09 AM in response to TcrowRB67

Hi,

Use your local credentials of your current user on your iMac. That will work to get the server.app going.

It is the same account you use to install software on your mac, any other account like diradmin might be created in the process of starting the server.app, but is not an active user yet because there is no open directory master yet, where the diradmin resides.

Start with this documentation to get started right:

https://help.apple.com/serverapp/mac/4.0/?lang=en

then proceed with more advanced sections:

https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/4.0/

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 26, 2015 9:27 AM in response to jepping

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I thought I had tried my Mac credentials and they did not work. The confusion may be with the old Mac Pro having been migrated over to the new iMac. The iMac seems to be working off the ext. HDD where the Mac Pro files reside and that may be a part of the confusion on my part. This is what happens when a person tries to get 6 things done at once I would guess.

May 27, 2015 2:56 PM in response to jepping

I took a couple days to put this in better perspective so that I can ask this question more succinctly. The server is set up and working fine. When I get to the login in a browser I don't seem to have the proper username, other than diradmin, but the password that got me through the login was the one I use for my computer. I don't recall having set up a new password for the server itself so I stick with the computer password. However, my name, as used for the computer, is not recognized by the login in the browser so I am scratching my head as to what I need to do prior to that login as to the proper setup for myself on the server. If diradmin works as a username then what would my username be for that login? Do I need to set up an account for myself on the server and, if so, would the username 'administrator' be the correct username or something else? What am I missing?

May 28, 2015 2:33 AM in response to TcrowRB67

You need to create users and groups other than admin to use those services.

The local admin account is just used for setting up the server, after that you could start Open Directory so you can create users who can use the services provided by the server including the login for the web.

The local admin usually does not have those rights. Diradmin does have certain rights, but is used to administer the Open Directory settings not for logging into web based apps.

Almost there... create a test user and grant that user permissions to use that web application.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Installed OS X server but cannot login online. My admin setup password does not work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.