Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight on server (shared folder) - works on server not works on client

Hi all,

i'm struggling to make a shared folder on Yosemite Server (last version) searchable by spotlight on client (Yosemite, last version).

On Server Spotlight works like a charm.

On iMac clients spotlight not search (in that shared network folder).

Any help, please ?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 25, 2015 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 5:06 AM

As far as I can tell, to mitigate server load, Spotlight on clients only searches network volumes if you double-click 'Show all in Finder...' and then chose the 'Shared' button.

If this is not working, the most probable cause is that the way you are creating/mounting the share is not giving the client read access to the associated Spotlight database.

C.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 5:06 AM in response to fadrianoc

As far as I can tell, to mitigate server load, Spotlight on clients only searches network volumes if you double-click 'Show all in Finder...' and then chose the 'Shared' button.

If this is not working, the most probable cause is that the way you are creating/mounting the share is not giving the client read access to the associated Spotlight database.

C.

Spotlight on server (shared folder) - works on server not works on client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.