Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backing up my non-existent Dropbox

I have a private Dropbox account that I occasionally access on my laptop at work which also has a Time Machine backing it up everyday. On a coincidence I went into the backups via the HD (not the Time Machine) and noticed that it has been backing up my private Dropbox folder. As it only contains my personal files, I of course don't want it in the corporate Time Machine. I don't understand how it even got there, I have only ever accessed my Dropbox via a browser (google chorme), although I did once download the desktop application in order to run my corporate Dropbox. Could the application somehow have picked up my private account instead?

What I would like to get some help on is: how do I permanately delete the Dropbox folder from the Time Machine and also how do I prevent future backups? The folder nor the desktop application exist anywhere on my work laptop.

As I am using my private Apple ID: here are some specs on the machine I am asking about:

Macbook Pro, mid 2012

2,9 GHz Intel Core i7

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 25, 2015 2:24 AM

7 replies

May 25, 2015 6:32 AM in response to Linda

Time Machine could not have backed up a folder that doesn't exist.

To prevent an item from being backed up, add it to the exclusion list in the Time Machine preference pane (click Options to access the list.)

To delete existing backups, first enter Time Machine. Select the folder you want to delete. From the popup menu with a gear icon in the toolbar, select

Delete All Backups of ...

May 25, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, strange isn't it. In order to sort this matter out quickly (I don't really need the backup anyway as I work towards the corporate intranet) I deleted the entire backup from time machine and made a new one, making sure that the Dropbox folder was deleted from my laptop, but had SAME PROBLEM AGAIN, the Dropbox folder is visible in the backup folder in the HD view (but not in time machine app) so now I don't know anymore... Should I try and erase the backup again?

May 26, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Linda

Open the Time Machine preference pane and unlock the settings, if necessary. Click the Options button. Temporarily add your home folder to the list of excluded items. Save the change.

Start a backup, or wait for one to happen automatically. When it's done, open the preference pane again and remove the exclusion you made earlier. Back up again and test.

Time Machine backing up my non-existent Dropbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.