Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID setup is immediately prompted to "Failed"

Hello Community,

So recently got a replacement iPhone through warranty. I activated the device, checked updates and downloaded basic apps and then decided to set up Touch ID. The Touch ID option is able to be turned on however as soon as I slide "Use touch ID" option, it says FAILED. It doesn´t even let me to place my finger on the sensor. What might be the reason? The iPhone was brand brand brand new...Clean, with the covers and everything. I tried to hard reset, set as new iPhone, restore from iCloud, tried to set up Touch ID from the iPhone inital set up.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 25, 2015 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:10 PM

Hi JraulhernandezR,

The information outlined below can help get Touch ID to function correctly on your iPhone.

Get help with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
  3. Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201371

All my best,

Allen

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 2:10 PM in response to JraulhernandezR

Hi JraulhernandezR,

The information outlined below can help get Touch ID to function correctly on your iPhone.

Get help with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
  3. Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201371

All my best,

Allen

May 28, 2015 12:36 PM in response to CarlAVII

Step 7 was the solution, my friend. Unfortunately, the Touch ID sensor was not working at all even after an authorized tech opened the device and noticed that all the connections were OK. I have seen many users with the same problem but not a concrete answer. It seems that the only solution is to get the device replaced, regardless of version of iOS or iPhone. I got my phone replaced and happily using it now... Thank you buddy! 🙂

Touch ID setup is immediately prompted to "Failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.