Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule USB port does not connect to Canon printer or a WB disk drive

USB port seems too weak to connect to a Canon printer. Apple Support by phone says the USB port is built to provide low connection capacity. It does charge my iPhone. Device is in warranty period. Should I take it back?

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 6:33 AM

The iPhone requires a good deal more power to charge than a printer requires for normal operation.

The problem is not with the USB port on the AirPort Time Capsule, the problem is elsewhere......the USB cable may be defective, or the printer is not set up correctly.

Hard drives do require more power, so you might need to use a powered USB hub with some drives. However, if your current drive is not formatted correctly in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), it will appear as if the drive is not working at all, when in fact the USB port may be providing adequate power.

If you decide to replace the Time Capsule with another Time Capsule, I would expect the replacement to perform the same as the original.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 6:33 AM in response to William Piez

The iPhone requires a good deal more power to charge than a printer requires for normal operation.

The problem is not with the USB port on the AirPort Time Capsule, the problem is elsewhere......the USB cable may be defective, or the printer is not set up correctly.

Hard drives do require more power, so you might need to use a powered USB hub with some drives. However, if your current drive is not formatted correctly in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), it will appear as if the drive is not working at all, when in fact the USB port may be providing adequate power.

If you decide to replace the Time Capsule with another Time Capsule, I would expect the replacement to perform the same as the original.

May 25, 2015 8:44 AM in response to William Piez

I found that the USB outlet on the TC is intended for diagnostics only and cannot connect to a printer or disk drive.

This information is not correct at all. Please see this Apple Support Document to verify that the USB port can be used for either a printer or a hard drive.

Uses for the USB port of AirPort Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express - Apple Support

Every Time Capsule that I have owned....including the current version.....works just fine with a USB printer and/or a hard drive.

I suppose it is possible.....but extremely unlikely.....that the USB port is providing power but not functioning correctly otherwise. If you do have an Apple Store in your area, take the Time Capsule in to let them take a look.

You will know that your Time Capsule is functioning normally....and you have a printer and hard drive problem....or you will have a new Time Capsule if yours is not operating correctly.

May 25, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Bob Timmons

BT:

Very strange. The Apple article is certainly specific, but so was the technician I talked to at the Apple store.

I do note that the article describes a particular model as

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac & AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (1st - 4th Generation)

• A self-powered USB hard drive
  • A USB printer
  • A USB hub, which may be used to connect several USB hard drives and/or printers

Mr receipt for my Time Capsule describes it as:

Airport Time Capsule 802.11AC 2TB

Part Number: ME177LL/A

Could my time capsule be an internally different model from the one described in big type above?

WP

wpiez@mac.com

May 25, 2015 9:49 AM in response to William Piez

Your Time Capsule is included in the models mentioned in this support document, as is every model of the Time Capsule that has ever been manufactured.

There has been 5 different versions of the Time Capsule offered and they are all mentioned in this support document.

Generation 1

Generation 2

Generation 3

Generation 4

AirPort Time Capsule ac

If you have a 'tower" shaped Time Capsule, you have the current "ac" version.

The "technician" at the Apple Store either misunderstood your question.....or he was just wrong with his response. You might want to print out the support article for him.....although he has it on his computer.....if you decide to take the Time Capsule in to the Apple Store.

It might also be a good idea to ask for another "tech", if you can.

May 25, 2015 11:30 AM in response to William Piez

You MacBook Pro connects to any Time Capsule using either a wired Ethernet cable connection or via wireless.

The USB port on the Time Capsule is there to add another external hard drive for additional storage......or.....to connect a USB printer. The MacBook cannot connect to the Time Capsule using the Time Capsule USB connection, if that is what you might be thinking or asking about.

Maybe if you could tell us what it is that you are trying to accomplish, we can tell you if it is possible.

May 26, 2015 6:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

BT:

Sorry to distract, but I was only looking for some Apple statement that might support what an Apple Store technician told me.

Trying to keep it simple, I ask:

My

Airport Time Capsule 802.11AC 2TB

Part Number: ME177LL/A

has one USB port which will not connect to my Canon printer or my self-powered WD disk drive. Is this a fault in the Time Capsule, or not?

You clearly state it is a fault. No need for you to answer. I will take your advice and call Apple Support.

Thanks again.

WP

May 26, 2015 12:02 PM in response to William Piez

has one USB port which will not connect to my Canon printer or my self-powered WD disk drive. Is this a fault in the Time Capsule, or not?

It is impossible to say without further checking, since it is possible and very likely that the USB port on the Time Capsule is performing perfectly.......and it is your printer which needs to be reset so that it will work with the USB port......and.....your hard drive may not be formatted to work correctly with the USB port.

So that is one issue......and I recommended that you take the Time Capsule to an Apple Store to let them check it out and test the USB port. If the port tests out OK....as I suspect it will.....then you know that you have a printer issue and a hard drive issue.....not a Time Capsule issue.

The seconds issue is, as I pointed out......that it appears as if an Apple "tech" might have misunderstood your question and given you an answer that did not apply to your situation.

or.....

If he really did tell you that the USB port on the Time Capsule was there only for diagnostic purposes, and it could not be used to allow a printer or hard drive to connect.......then he just flat out gave you the wrong information.....seriously wrong information....since he had the same Apple Support document on his computer that I provided to you. He was either too lazy to look for the correct answer, or he just made one up.

That is why I suggested that you talk to another and hopefully better "tech" when you visit again.

I will not comment further. Please let us know how your Time Capsule checks out when you can. Good luck.

Airport Time Capsule USB port does not connect to Canon printer or a WB disk drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.