Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insufficient disk space to upgrade to Yosemite

I have a Mini-Mac running OX S 10.6 and I want to upgrade to Yosemite. I have 160Gb Hard drive and 150Gb is full. I cannot think what is taking up all the space. I need 8.5Gb to upgrade. Is there an easy way to defrag or something similar to free up disc space? I cannot believe that all of this 150Gb is stuff that is needed? Any free utilities to erase crap that is useless and clogging up my disc please? Thanks in advance!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Disc space issue

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:03 AM

1 reply

May 25, 2015 3:57 AM in response to SmokeyTheCat

Not sure why you're asking this on the iPhoto forum, but here goes:

Your HD is, to all intents and purposes, full. You have the bare minimum of free space required to run the OS and apps and you need to make more space on the disk.

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on. Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially.

You have 10 gigs at the moment. You do not want to let it get any lower.

Defraying or any other things will not free up space. What free up space is finding that is using the space and then - where possible - moving it off to another disk. There are no utilities that "erase crap" and you really, really should avoid any that claim to. What they regard as "crap" may well be your priceless data.

So get looking. One way to do this is to download an app like Grand Perspective

http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

It will give you a graphical representation of what is using your disk space and allow you to choose what to delete.

One very strong tip: do not delete anything whose purpose you do not understand. That's how you turn a computer into a paperweight.

Insufficient disk space to upgrade to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.