Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion5 / Trimming video within dropzone

Hi,

How do I control video footage in a Dropzone?

I´ve inserted video footage to a drop zone in the correct place on the timeline, but I want the footage inpoint to be a second later ie the equivalent of moving the footage within it´s own clip with the Trim control in FCPX - any advice?

Thanks!

Mi

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 25, 2015 6:59 AM

4 replies

May 25, 2015 2:30 PM in response to melfverson

In FCPX, when you click the Drop Zone well in the inspector, you have to choose your video either in the storyline or in the Event Browser. As you mouse over a clip, the cursor changes into a pointing finger. You will also get a "playhead marker" line in the clip. Where you click your selection will be the first frame of the drop zone content. (You can click multiple times to make adjustments before you click Apply Clip to make it "permanent").

There's a demonstration in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSB-df2cHtM

Also, you should increase the size of the clips shown in the inspector to several seconds or more, making a specific frame selection easier.

May 25, 2015 5:30 PM in response to melfverson

Ok... sorry!

Import your dropzone media. Add a Drop Zone. Apply the media to the Drop Zone. Move the playhead to where you want the first frame of the media to appear and type 'I' to create an In Point. Slide the Drop Zone layer to line up with the first frame you want it to appear (I'm assuming the beginning).

You can Loop, Hold, or Ping Pong the media by stretching out the length of the Drop Zone and going into the Properties inspector > Timing and selecting the End Condition and setting the End Duration (how long the DZ is stretched out for.) An end condition of None will make the Drop Zone just disappear when the end of the media runs out (you might want to add a Fade Out as there is sometimes a "flash" frame at the end.)

HTH

May 26, 2015 1:24 PM in response to fox_m

Nope, sorry, I´m probably just not explaining it clearly because I can´t remember the correct editing term for this!

- basically I want to move forwards some frames within the clip eg if you have three seconds of a clip of a person looking into the camera, you still want it in the same place on the timeline, but you want the clip to start after she blinks.

Same function as when in FCPX you select T function, hold it down over a clip and move to a different frame.

Does this make sense?

Motion5 / Trimming video within dropzone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.