Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalled OS X Mavericks and lost iPhoto, etc

So for whatever reason my MPB had a massive crash and I had no choice but to erase the disk and reinstall OS X Mavericks.

Originally - as what my MBP come with preinstalled - was iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band. But since the reinstall of OS X Mavericks those apps are gone. Bigger issue, I cannot access any of my photos or videos from iCloud, nor my iPhone and iPad on my MPB. I thought perhaps an easier way would be to go to iCloud.com and transfer my photos back to my MBP. But it instructs me to "switch on iPhoto" under iCloud tab to get started. So I go do just what it saids and it shows a grey out iPhoto or Aperture Required and a link saying, "Learn More". So I click on Learn More and I get a page description-ing about updating iPhoto from within the program itself. Huh? Seriously?? How in the heck am I to update it if it isn't there???

As I said - them 3 programs were already preinstalled when I bought my MPB brand-new a couple years ago from a US Navy Base. I would love to know how to get them 3 programs back for I use to use them frequently, especially iPhoto.

Actually if it comes to it, iMovie and Garage Band or on both my iPad and iPhone. If I have to, I'd use those apps on those devices. The main thing though is how to transfer pictures from my iCloud, iPad, and iPhone to and save on my MBP. Because right now it seems I have no way of doing such.

Info about my MBP

Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13-inch (non-Retina)

Current Software OS X 10.9.5

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Mid 2012

Posted on May 25, 2015 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 5:02 AM

If you previously purchased iPhoto and other apps, they should be in your App Store Purchases list. If you don’t see them, they may be under Hidden Purchases. You can try downloading these apps from there.

9 replies

May 25, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

I upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks. Unfortunately the version of iPhoto that is on my backup [Mountain Lion] isn't compatible with Mavericks.

Can you tell me how to keep the Mavericks UI under Yosemite? I might consider it then. I really don't like the Yosemite look at all. I'm ignoring the reported problems with wifi under Yosemite as this particular machine is on the LAN

May 25, 2015 1:36 PM in response to ShelyH73

Hey Guys, thanks all for the helpful advices. I figured a way to get it back after some playing around.

To begin with, I have 2 Apple IDs - a new and old one. When I fist got this MBP, I was using my old ID. It was only a few months back, because my Apple products not syncing properly from password problems, I had to recreate a new Apple ID and such.

As I mentioned before I completely erased my disk and reinstall OS X Mavericks. Initially, I was having problems getting the download of Mavericks started (I kept getting the infamous, "Item Temporarily Unavailable. Try Again Later" popup message), then remembered about my old Apple ID. Signed in under it and voila! It Mavericks started downloading.

Remembering this, I went back into the App Store and noticed I was signed in under my new ID. So I signed out and signed back in under my old ID and looked under Purchased Apps, and waaaaay at the bottom of the list was iPhoto, iMovie, and Garage Band! 🙂

Reinstalled OS X Mavericks and lost iPhoto, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.