Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to retrieve a backup of a note from time capsule

Somehow a note has vanished from my notes (not deleted, checked trashed). Checked other devices and iCloud and not there as well.

I want to go into my time capsule and retrieve an earlier date and retrieve the note. Notes show up in mail. When I enter time capsule and in the notes part of mail of an earlier date - I do not see the note? Perhaps I am not doing it right.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:50 AM

8 replies

May 25, 2015 8:06 AM in response to jhacking

Open Time Machine

Click on your home folder on the left....the one that looks like a house

Navigate using the timeline on the right of the screen to a date when the note was on the Mac

Open Library

Open Mail

Open V2

Open Mailboxes

Click on Notes.mbox to highlight it

Click Restore

Close out of Time Machine

If the note was on your Mac on the date that you chose, it will be restored.

May 25, 2015 11:39 AM in response to jhacking

Close any open windows.

Then, start by clicking the smiley face Finder icon down on the dock.

That will open a basic Finder window. On the left side or sidebar of the window, you will see categories for Favorites, Devices and Shared. The Home folder is under Favorites

If you do not see these, the option to display the sidebar has not been enabled. Normally, it is by default.

Click on the View menu at the top of the screen, then click Show Sidebar

May 25, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks - I tried this and the last backup of notes.mbox was april despite being backed up in may. When i restore the file, the note was still missing. Which I do not understand either.

It was weird last night - my phone was acting weird and going really slow. I was going in and out of settings and notes, and it just slowed right down and froze. So it is like that note I am missing just disappeared - poof. I can't figure out where it would go? Any other ideas?

May 25, 2015 7:53 PM in response to jhacking

When i restore the file, the note was still missing. Which I do not understand either.

When you are already in Time Machine, you can select a file and specify that all backups of that file will be deleted from the backup history.

I'm sure that you did not do this, but I know of no other way that all instances of a file would just disappear.

Not sure about the iPhone difficulties.....that might be a question for the experts in the iPhone support forum. The link is just below if you need it. Good luck!

Using iPhone

how to retrieve a backup of a note from time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.