Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop strobing on completed iMovie projects that have been transferred to DVD?

HOW TO STOP STROBING ON COMPLETED iMOVIE PROJECTS TRANSFERRED TO DVD

Hi – please can someone help me to help my Dad …?!

Dad has enjoyed making home movies using iMovie for many years now but ever since he swapped his old JVC camcorder for a new Panasonic, he’s been having major problems with strobing. The footage is fine when it’s viewed as an iMovie project within the iMovie program; but once it’s transferred onto DVD, certain area of the film strobe and we can’t work out why. Can anyone offer us any suggestions and a solution?

Dad uses a MacBook Pro OSX version 10.9.4; iMovie ’09; and a Panasonic HC-V130 camcorder in iFrame recording mode (as recommended). According to the camcorder packaging and the Apple website, this camcorder is meant to be Mac compatible.

The strobing affects mainly brickwork, roof tiles and road markings but not flowers or leaves on trees so I don’t think the problem isn’t necessarily about the amount of detail in a shot. And it can appear in both the background and foreground details (not at same time), so I don’t think it relates to the point of focus either.

It’s not a problem with the computer per se (checked out at local Genius Bar), or with the camcorder (sent for repairs but nothing wrong with it). The problem seems to arise when he transfers an iMovie project to DVD – as in, it’s fine before that point and strobing all over the place afterwards!

I wondered if he was using the wrong settings (speed / resolution) to transfer completed iMovie projects to DVD but the process doesn’t offer a choice, it’s simply SHARE > DVD.

I converted some sample footage to a QuickTime Movie to see if the strobing happened when iMovie footage was exported to any new source but that was fine. However I couldn’t work out how to transfer QuickTime movies on to a DVD that could then be watched on TV which is kind of what we’re aiming for here!

Hope I’ve explained the situation OK – does anyone have any suggestions. And I’m not very technically minded so PLEASE keep your explanations very (very!) simple.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), iMovie '09

Posted on May 25, 2015 8:53 AM

7 replies

Jun 5, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Sarastylist7

Hi - I'm posting my question again as the start of every line was cut in my original post, making it tricky to work out what I was talking about! Here's hoping that somebody out there will be able to help us ...

Dad has enjoyed making home movies using iMovie for many years now but ever since he swapped his old JVC camcorder for a new Panasonic, he’s been having major problems with strobing. The footage is fine when it’s viewed as an iMovie project within the iMovie program; but once it’s transferred onto DVD, certain area of the film strobe and we can’t work out why. Can anyone offer us any suggestions and a solution?

Dad uses a MacBook Pro OSX version 10.9.4; iMovie ’09; and a Panasonic HC-V130 camcorder in iFrame recording mode (as recommended). According to the camcorder packaging and the Apple website, this camcorder is meant to be Mac compatible.

The strobing affects mainly brickwork, roof tiles and road markings but not flowers or leaves on trees so I don’t think the problem isn’t necessarily about the amount of detail in a shot. And it can appear in both the background and foreground details (not at same time), so I don’t think it relates to the point of focus either.

It’s not a problem with the computer per se (checked out at local Genius Bar), or with the camcorder (sent for repairs but nothing wrong with it). The problem seems to arise when he transfers an iMovie project to DVD – as in, it’s fine before that point and strobing all over the place afterwards!

I wondered if he was using the wrong settings (speed / resolution) to transfer completed iMovie projects to DVD but the process doesn’t offer a choice, it’s simply SHARE > DVD.

I converted some sample footage to a QuickTime Movie to see if the strobing happened when iMovie footage was exported to any new source but that was fine. However I couldn’t work out how to transfer QuickTime movies on to a DVD that could then be watched on TV which is kind of what we’re aiming for here!

Hope I’ve explained the situation OK – does anyone have any suggestions. And I’m not very technically minded so PLEASE keep your explanations very (very!) simple.

Thank you!

Jun 6, 2015 12:28 AM in response to Sarastylist7

Firstly although Panasonic suggest iFrame recording mode, you might want to try in future AVCHD 1080i HA.This is still compatible with iMovie '09 and may give better quality.They say iFrame gives better performance on a Mac, i.e faster ,but possibly at the expense of quality.This by the way will not be the cause of what you are seeing on your DVDs.

SHARE >DVD is not regarded as the best way for producing a DVD.

Quoting AppleMan1958

I suggest...

SHARE/MEDIA BROWSER in Large size.

This will produce a movie in h.264

In iDVD, open the Media Browser and navigate to this movie in the iMovie Projects section. Drag it into your iDVD project.

Would I be correct in assuming that your Dad's old JVC camcorder was a mini DV camcorder? If so then yes mini DV transfers very well to iDVD, but high def does not.It has a problem in scaling down the high def which it doesn't have for the standard def mini DV.Remember that even though you are starting with high def from your Panasonic you end up with standard def on the DVD.

The strobing affects mainly brickwork, roof tiles and road markings

Yes the problem is more noticeable where straight lines occur, horizontal and vertical and the camcorder is hand held with slight movement.These straight lines produce flicker/strobing with movement.

If you are going to experiment then suggest you get one or two DVD-RW so you don't waste too many DVD-R.

Jun 6, 2015 1:17 AM in response to Sarastylist7

The following may not give better results but might be worth a try.

SHARE>Export Using QuickTime.

User uploaded file

Click Options,then in video click settings

User uploaded file

Set up as above, click OK

In video click size

User uploaded file

Note, dimension is 1920x1080HD not HD 1920x1080 16:9

then in sound click settings

User uploaded file

set up as above,click ok

it now looks like this

User uploaded file

click OK

User uploaded file

Now click Save.

When this has exported to the Desktop drag it into iDVD.

How can I stop strobing on completed iMovie projects that have been transferred to DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.