Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 ios 8.3 using Cellular Data when Cellular Data is turned off in settings

I have an iPhone 5s running ios 8.3 and while Cellular Data is turned off in settings / mobile and the phone is connected to Wi-Fi.

the iPhone is still trying to use Cellular Data. 32.1Kb in about 20 minutes.

in settings / mobile / system services it has listed games centre 19.2Kb and media services12.9Kb.

the phone stops using Cellular Data when I turn on airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi

why is it trying to use Cellular Data when Cellular Data is turned off ?

this is not right

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 25, 2015 6:02 AM

2 replies

Jul 29, 2015 11:57 AM in response to wabbit72

I have this issue too and it's really annoying because every time it uses data it costs $2/day.

in 6 months, this issue happened on 10 days costing $20, T-Mobile was nice to refund $10 & now that I see others have the issue, I think the issue is with iOS and this "leak" needs to be fixed.

im on 8.4 and this issue has happened since I got an iPhone 5s (never had this issue on a 4s even with iOS8 (whatever version was current as of Dec 2014))

my phone just rebooted last night, so this snapshot is crystal clear: it's used 104MB in the last 12 hrs while "cellular data" setting was off.

i haven't done anything but use internet over WiFi.

Zero phone calls, never left the house. It doesn't happen every day so I'm wondering if it has to do with the reboot process. I'll post an update if I notice the same thing next time I reboot (fortunately it's not often ;-)

User uploaded file

Jul 29, 2015 12:28 PM in response to udance4ever

(wasnt able to edit my response - found extra info)

I have this issue too and it's really annoying because every time it uses data it costs $2/day for less than 8kB (0.008MB) of data use (from T-Mobile customer service):

2015/1/6 - data - fri 8:45AM 0.00718MB

2015/1/8 - data - sun 8:05PM 0.0077MB

2015/1/15 - data - sun 2:03PM 0.00212MB

2015/1/19 - data - thu 8:38PM 0.00322MB

in 6 months, this issue happened on 10 days costing $20, T-Mobile was nice to refund $10

Now that I see others have the issue, I think the issue is with iOS and this "leak" needs to be fixed.

im on 8.4 and this issue has happened since I got an iPhone 5s on iOS 8.3. Never had this issue on a 4s on iOS8 prior to Jan 2015.

my phone just rebooted 12 hrs ago & data was used while "cellular data" setting was off. i haven't done anything but use internet over WiFi. Zero phone calls, never left the house.

It doesn't happen every day so I'm wondering if it has to do with the reboot process. I'll post an update if I notice the same thing next time I reboot (fortunately it's not often! 🙂

iphone 5 ios 8.3 using Cellular Data when Cellular Data is turned off in settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.