Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted 13000 photos to free HDD space but the files are still using space

I deleted 13000 photos from PHOTO to free HDD space but the space was not freed, The files went elsewhere and occupy the same space. How do I rid the files from the HDD - OS X 10 Yosemite.

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 9:03 AM

Hope you have a backup.

Yosemite iPhoto

Did you empty trash?

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19068?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

4 replies

May 25, 2015 11:17 AM in response to dominic23

I had done the things you noted but it doesn't free up the space of the deleted files. I also googled the same question and got quite a different response. It was claimed there is a glitch between the Time Machine program and the way in which is interfaces with the HDD. It's recommended solution was to disconnect the time machine, cancel out the HDD that time machine uses for backup, restart the computer and wait awhile. After a while the time machine will no longer influence the HDD and the deleted files will disappear and the HDD will use those deletions as available HDD space. The only question is -- how long the wait time is after following the procedure.It's already been a few hours -- maybe it's days.

Thanks for your interest and response.

I deleted 13000 photos to free HDD space but the files are still using space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.