Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is keeping the battery charged on my Macbook Pro at all times ok or is it better to charge as it is empty?

Is keeping the battery charged on my Macbook Pro at all times ok or is it better to charge as it is empty?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:24 AM

2 replies

May 25, 2015 7:43 AM in response to mjblige33

In this Forum there are numerous threads about this question.

I will summarize:

- you can keep it connected.

- from time to time (say once a week or longer) let it run on battery power only, until it is down to say 50-60%, then connect the charger again.

- never let the battery depleat until the mac shuts down itself: this is very bad for a modern battery; as a precaution, try not to depleat below 20%.

- if you store the mac for longer times without any use (say months), store it with the battery about 50-60% full.

Lex

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.