Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't update to iOS 7.1.2

My iPhone 5 is currently running iOS 6.1.4 and I would like to update to the latest iOS7, which I believe to be iOS 7.1.2. Using iTunes 11, I am trying to install via .ipsw file for iOS 7.1.2.

I am upgrading to to iOS7 to keep using the apps no longer supported by iOS6, but I DO NOT want to go to iOS8 as I don't want to break the apps that don't run well under iOS8. Since the Apple update is trying to force me to jump past iOS7, it appears that I need to update manually, but I have not had success so far.

The iOS 7.1.2 update begins and the .ipsw file is uncompressed, etc., but it ends in error, "iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (3194)". Looking up the error doesn't offer a solution other than "install latest version of iTunes". Since I am already using this version of iTunes with my iPad running iOS 7.1.2, it is not an iTunes problem.

Any thoughts how to get to iOS7 installed on an iPhone 5 which certainly should support it? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4, null

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:25 AM

7 replies

May 25, 2015 8:26 AM in response to Lexiepex

I mention downgrading as I found many web reports warning users that they had a limited time to downgrade back to iOS 7 after the release of iOS 8. Since then, there seems to be many irritated people that updated but don't like iOS 8 that cannot now downgrade. Since I was going the other direction, it seemed reasonable to get to iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone. Because the iPad I just bought from the Apple Store came with iOS 7.1.2, I'd rather incrementally update my iPhone iOS to match the iPad BEFORE attempting to update both to iOS 8.x ... isn't that a reasonable expectation?

So, if the official Apple software support path prohibits updating a device I have in my possession to iOS 7, then the only Apple-approved way to get to iOS 7 would be to obtain another iPhone 5 that already had 7.1.2 installed and transfer my data, correct?

May 25, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Lee Warren 500

"isn't that a reasonable expectation" it is not possible.

"So, if the official Apple software support path prohibits updating a device I have in my possession to iOS 7, then the only Apple-approved way to get to iOS 7 would be to obtain another iPhone 5 that already had 7.1.2 installed and transfer my data, correct?" yes.

"I found many web reports warning users that they had a limited time to downgrade back to iOS 7 after the release of iOS 8" normally not possible, but some have found that they could go back in the first hour, which is really nothing because it takes longer to be dissatisfied.

Lex

iPhone 5 won't update to iOS 7.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.