Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari hangs and looks hacked when trying to look at saved passwords

Safari hangs and looks hacked when trying to look at saved passwords. Went to Safari preferences to look at saved passwords and got the following:

User uploaded file

So I can't look at my passwords and wonder if they've all been compromised somehow.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 25, 2015 9:11 AM

3 replies

May 25, 2015 10:45 AM in response to MRBarrett27

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

May 25, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Linc Davis

I feel confident that this would have fixed my problem. My computer is new so I used my free Apple support. We determined that the San Francisco font that I had installed from an OS X Daily post at http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/20/use-san-francisco-system-font-in-os-x/

had some faulty instructions. The post instructs you to place the new fonts in ~/Library/Fonts/ but a number of readers had the same problem that I did and the following comment with revised instructions resolves the problem. I went further and removed the fonts.

By: Jason

May 24, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Gibberish text problem solved: Place the 5 "System San Francisco" fonts in

/Library/Fonts/

NOT ~/Library/Fonts/ The former is higher in the system stack, the latter will work but you'll get the gibberish text when system level permissions are required.

Safari hangs and looks hacked when trying to look at saved passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.