Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does iTunes populate movie poster images ?

I was hoping that like music files and the album artwork directories being obvious movies would be treated in the same manner. It appears they are not as I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to improve the performance of scrolling thru 900+ movies in iTunes. I purchased a Drobo 5d Thunderbolt Attached storage specifically for my iTunes library. While the Drobo is loaded with mSATA SSD Hot Cache it appears neither the Drobo nor OSX & iTunes are in any way taking advantage of it for this purpose. I have rebuilt my database leaving the iTunes Media Directory on SSD Flash in default location and then adding my media to iTunes library manually from their iTunes built directory structure on the Drobo.

Is anybody familiar with this or had success in getting performance to improve around this area ? Per Drobo if the files were accessed often Drobo would move those files automatically into the flash cache. My fear is that its appearing that iTunes in no way handles this scenario beyond simply accessing each and every movie file individually in order to obtain the movie poster image from the files meta-data. While its nice movies have the meta-data I surmise music files do not and thats why they get their own album artwork cache that can reside on fast cache while the music file itself resides on slower but larger rotating disk drive. So even with a 10GB directly attached thunderbolt array utilizing tiering and fast cache, iTunes database residing on PCI-e flash drive, my beautiful Mac Pro based home server performance is that of rotating disks contained within my Drobo 5d and it is so painfully obvious each time a family member attempts to scroll thru our movie listings.

Is there ANY way to read the movie images out and cache them on flash ?? Presently I have to ensure if server was rebooted for any reason that I spend the time to scroll thru all movies prior to anyone using it. This takes time I dont have nor should be allocating just so iTunes can read each movie file while caching the image into ram to be destroyed upon reboot or even aged out soon thereafter and "un-cached" causing the scrolling to halt and skip again in areas. At least having option to build a high speed cache for movie meta-data would be a great feature in iTunes. A feature that would make me continue to use iTunes, I am however at this time seeking a replacement while researching a solution including iTunes. Even high end hardware with fast cache support, using Apple applications hosted on new Mac Pro with 64GB of ram yet feels like a 386 computer when finding a movie.

Thanks,

Dave

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 64GB,Thunderbolt Connected Drobo 5d

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:13 AM

There are no replies.

How does iTunes populate movie poster images ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.