Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted mail will not vanish.

Deleted mail will not vanish. Stays in the list and can still be opened. I have changed nothing in Preferences. Help would be appreciated!

<Re-Titled By Host>

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on May 25, 2015 8:46 AM

7 replies

May 26, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, thank you. No, it does not move to the Trash. The only thing that happens for the specific message is that the option for "Delete" at the top left of the menu bar changes to "Undelete."

This is the situation when I do NOT have it checked in Preferences to move deleted messages to the trash. If I DO check it, then when I try to delete I get the popup message: "This message could not be moved to the mailbox "Trash." Then it says in smaller type: "The operation couldn't be completed. File exists."

As noted, I had not changed anything in Preferences. This problem suddenly has arisen a few days ago, after using the MAIL program for years and years.

Many thanks to you for whatever you see as a possible explanation/solution.

May 27, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric, thanks again. Right now, the same thing happens either way. I get the popup message I mentioned before, the email itself stays where it is, BUT it also shows up in the Trash.

The way I have Preferences set right now, is to move deleted messages to the Trash, and remove them when they are one day old. This appears to be happening. But what USED to happen is that I could delete any given message and it would vanish entirely.

Thanks to you.

Deleted mail will not vanish.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.