Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule problem...DNS Error

I am using a late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz with 16gb Ram. The OS I am using is Yosemite.

I just tried to turn on Back to My Mac and it is not working. I get an error that says "Back to My Mac isn't working because the DNS Server isn't responding"

Posted on May 25, 2015 8:54 AM

2 replies

May 25, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Jeff D1222

Is the TC setup for double NAT? That will prevent BTMM from working.

Are you trying to setup BTMM on the Mac or on the TC??

Even in bridge the TC can have issues.. and BTMM will not work.

You can assume if the internet is actually working ok that BTMM has come up with one of its inane errors that merely shows it is only usable on a small fraction of installations.

Try doing a traceroute in terminal to a google dns eg. 8.8.8.8 and post the results.

May 25, 2015 4:42 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you. The issue was something I wouldn't have thought of, might have been very obvious to many. I work from home and have a company router linking me to our network and VOIP. Our IT team had me set it up Cable Modem to Company Router to WiFi Router. Well, the fact that I was connected first to a Cisco 800 router before the cable got to the Time Machine was causing the two routers to look for IP addresses.

I changed the wiring and went Cable Modem to Time Capsule and then to Company Modem. All seems to be working great now and I was able to access my Time Capsule and files stored on it from a friends house a short while ago. I have it set up as DHCP and NAT.

User uploaded file

Time Capsule problem...DNS Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.