Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video keywords lost: exported from iPhoto to Photos

I exported 30 items from iPhoto (some videos and some pictures). I selected to include keywords and titles and selected to export "current" and not "originals".

I imported them into Photos to find that pictures retained their keywords but videos lost their keywords.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 25, 2015 9:56 AM

10 replies

May 25, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence devlin:

im talking about videos that did have geotag /keywords / dates in iPhoto (taken by iPhone) but lost it when exported and imported to Photos. I heard that MOV files do save geotags in the same file. Any way to mimic how Photos convert an iPhoto library for the purpose of retaining these info?

any advice on the best way to import videos (mov) from my iMovie library to iPhoto or Photos without having to export/import and with minimal loss (keywords and locations). Somebody suggested importing directly from the iMovie library package. Any other thoughts?

May 25, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin:

I used to import my videocam videos to iMovie and my iPhone videos to iPhoto (iPhoto didn't recognize my videocam MOD files). Photos converted my iPhoto library to Photos library and those videos (from iPhoto) maintained their geotag/keywords/dates.

Later I recovered some videos and picture from iPhoto trash and so had to export them and then import them to Photos . I tried also importing them directly from the iPhoto library (through "show package content" option) without exporting them. In both ways I lost keyword/geotags/dates.

I still have to deal with all my iMovie library videos which I would like to import to Photos.

Am I right then if I say that geotags/keywords/dates that iPhoto saves for videos are actually external to the video files themselves, whereas for pictures are inside the files? I don't know why iPhoto/Photos import iPhone videos with their correct dates and geotags and can't do that for videos from other sources.

May 25, 2015 10:48 PM in response to an1980

Am I right then if I say that geotags/keywords/dates that iPhoto saves for videos are actually external to the video files themselves,

Correct.

whereas for pictures are inside the files?

Correct.

This is not Apple's doing, it's a factor of the terribly fractured nature of video where there are virtually no agreed standards, where file suffixes like .mov and .avi are just containers for a vast array of Codecs that device makers keep changing. Compare this to the still images where concepts like Tiff, Jpeg and Png are agreed formats with agreed characteristics.

I don't know why iPhoto/Photos import iPhone videos with their correct dates and geotags and can't do that for videos from other sources

Because Apple wrote the system for iPhone and not for the other sources and there are no agreed standards.

May 28, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence Devlin:

I tried importing a couple home videos from the iMovie library directly to Photos (by going to the iMovie library package content directly rather than exporting them). They did maintain the date and they didn't have keywords or geotags in the iMovie to begin with.

Now I plan to do it on a large scale (all my iMovie library). Please let me know if you anticipate any major issues from your wide general knowledge in the topic so I avoid doing that

video keywords lost: exported from iPhoto to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.