Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I get a new Mac, will I be able to install Aperture?

Hello

My MacPro 1,1 is long in the tooth and I can no longer upgrade past Lion.

I am also an aperture user and I would like to continue to use it for as long as possible even though it is EOL.

Will I be able to install from the app store on a new mac?

Or will I be able to transfer files, settings and applications to the new mac and then update?

Thanks

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:27 PM

Any new Mac will come with MacOS X 10.10.3 or later. And that requires Aperture 3.6. Did you buy your current Aperture version from the App Store? If not, you will need the help of the App Store Support to update your current Aperture 3 version to version 3.6 on a new Mac. There are no downloads for Aperture updates available, that will run on MacOS X 10.10.3. You can only install on a new Mac, if Aperture is showing on the Purchases tab at the AppStore.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 12:27 PM in response to flommer

Any new Mac will come with MacOS X 10.10.3 or later. And that requires Aperture 3.6. Did you buy your current Aperture version from the App Store? If not, you will need the help of the App Store Support to update your current Aperture 3 version to version 3.6 on a new Mac. There are no downloads for Aperture updates available, that will run on MacOS X 10.10.3. You can only install on a new Mac, if Aperture is showing on the Purchases tab at the AppStore.

May 25, 2015 2:30 PM in response to flommer

When you get your new Mac soon, see this User Tip:

: Updating to Aperture 3.6 After the Release of Photos

Aperture is currently showing in my purchases list.

Hopefully it will remain there on a new Mac.

Just be sure to use the same Apple ID. And check for hidden Purchases:

Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases

Some plug-ins may be incompatible. Check the manufacturer's websites.

May 28, 2015 3:22 PM in response to stumbleone

Aperture 3.6 came across perfectly with absolutely no problems.

Migration Assistant is great, when both Macs are running compatible systems. But flommer will be migrating from a Mac with Lion, so the Aperture version on that Mac will not be compatible with MacOS 10.10.3. That is why it will be necessary to install Aperture 3.6 from the App Store.

BTW, if you are using GarageBand, check the instrument library. There have been several reports, that Migration Assistant did not copy the JamPack instruments over to the new Mac.

May 28, 2015 10:20 PM in response to léonie

I am sure I will try migration assistant at some point in the process. It has been very helpful in the past.

It would be nice if you could pick the applications that get moved, I do not remember having those options.

I will install Aperture from the app store first. I'm thinking that migration assistant is smart enough to not over-write newer versions of apps?

Not too worried about Garage Band, I am also a ProTools user so that is a much higher priority. Not happy about what I am seeing there so far...

May 29, 2015 12:06 AM in response to flommer

I will install Aperture from the app store first. I'm thinking that migration assistant is smart enough to not over-write newer versions of apps?

There are two ways to use the Migration Assistants:

1. One is the Setup Assistant - it prompts you to migrate from a TimeMachine backup or another Mac right after you start the new mac up for the first time. Don't miss this opportunity. It is the quickest and best way to do the migration.
  2. Or set up the Mac manually and launch Migration Assistant later from the Utilities.

I strongly recommend to use the Setup Assistant right after starting up the Mac, for several reasons:

1. When you do this, you do not have to create a new user account, but the migrated account and user name from your old Mac will be your account. That will avoid all kind of ownership issues for the migrated documents and data.
  2. You can inherit your old Time Machine backup and continue to use it.
  3. I found it migrated the Application Support folders from the System Library and licences better than Migration Assistant - in some cases.

It does not matter, if an older Aperture version will first be migrated. It will appear with a crossed out icon, and you can simply delete it, before you try to install the newest version from the AppStore.

If I get a new Mac, will I be able to install Aperture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.