Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logicboard 4.1 flashed firmware or 5.1 newbie question !

Hello everyone.

I am a first time Mac used, English is not my primary language so I tried to describe my issued, hope anyone can help me.

I got a Mac pro on Ebay half years ago, serial : YM*********20G It 's an Early 2009 2.26 original, ebay seller upgrade tray and "flashed" firmware from 4.1 to 5.1 then I bought it.

Here is the new spec of that Mac pro i bought (after seller upgrade everything) :

Apple Mac Pro (2009)
Model Identifier 5,1 (upgraded to (2010) firmware)

APPLE MAC PRO 12 CORE 3.06 Ghz, 1TB, ATI HD5770, 24 GB, AIRPORT, BT, SD

• 2x Intel Xeon 'Westmere' 6-Core 3.06 Ghz Processors (X5675) (12-Cores; 24-Threads)
  • 24 GB Memory PC3-8500 ECC DIMM 1066 (6 x 4GB)
  • Drive Bay 1: 1TB Hitachi/OEM APPLE HDD (7200rpm)
  • ATI APPLE/OEM HD 5770 1GB Video Card (2x Mini-Display Port and 1x DVI Outputs)
  • Airport Extreme Module installed
  • Bluetooth Module installed
  • 1 x Superdrive 18X

The problem of that Mac is it was crashed after 30 or 45 mins using, sometimes it crashs after 2-5 mins using. It cannot be fixed by all the way. Since there is no authorize Apple support in my country, some techincal here found out that the problem come from logicboard (memory, video card, cpu, heatsink tray have no problem) just only the logicboard. They suggest me to buy a new one from Apple.

My question is i wonder what i should buy : the 4.1 logicboard then flashed firmware to 5.1 or buy the newly 5.1 logicboard. I dont know anything about this, and technical here don't know about that "flashed" things, somebody suggest used the original firmware will make machine run stably. Are the any difference between 4.1 and 5.1mainboard, if i buy a 5.1 logicboard, could it be switched and run well to my Mac ?

Any help should be highly appreciated

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:55 AM

5 replies

May 25, 2015 11:40 AM in response to gemini_mouse

You need to narrow down and rule out everything first.

It could be RAM, it could be whatever OS version.

You probably need OS X DVD with 10.6 to get a new clean system? From there you can upgrade OS X.

Might need to just wipe the hard drive and start fresh.

I doubt the firmware or logicboard and not without knowing more. And no 4,1 firmware will not make it stable. You need 5,1 to use the processors that are in there now.

May 25, 2015 11:43 PM in response to The hatter

I Did all of this, my friend have a 4.1 mac pro 2009, we exchange each part-to-part and finally figure it out it was becos the logic board.

My problem is i dont know which logicboard i should buy, the 4.1 or 5.1, i email the ebay seller sold that mac for me and he replied that i need to replace by the same 4.1 logicboard to run with everything exist inside the Mac, but he needs to do some research as he said. So what is the choice, i was confused, if 4.1 flashed firmware is safer or 5.1 original

Logicboard 4.1 flashed firmware or 5.1 newbie question !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.