Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac tries to quit programs and restart whenever it puts the display to sleep

Hi everyone!

I have a late 2008 iMac all-in-one with the most recent Yosemite OSX 10.10.3 (14D136). This problem has been around ever since I updated to Yosemite for the first time. I use this computer as my desktop computer and as a server for various projects. I need the computer to stay on andall programs must stay open. I would also like the monitor to be able to go to sleep so I don't wear it out. No matter what settings I choose, it seems like, it tries to quit all applications and shutdown when I leave it alone. I can't tell what is triggering this. Here are my settings:

ENERGY SAVER:

Computer sleep: never
Display sleep: ~20min

Do I need to set display sleep to "never" too? Won't that ruin my monitor? I want everything to stay open and running forever, but the screen should turn off after ~20min. What am I doing wrong? Why does it start quitting everything and shutting down?

User uploaded file

GENERAL:

User uploaded file

In the "general" control panel it is set to "ask to keep changes." This is seemly unrelated, but often when I come back and if the screen is dark, when I move the mouse there is a dialogue saying it could not shut down because some app was asking about saving changes. Though, just as often, there are apps that closed successfully ... much to my dismay ... so having this on is my kludgey way of stopping the shutdown.

SECURITY & PRIVACY:

User uploaded file

Could this be the issue? I even turned off the login password. I'd rather have it on, but I assume this isn't possible if I want all programs to keep running.

DESKTOP & SCREEN SAVER:

User uploaded file

The screen saver is set to start after "never" now, but I've tried turning it on too.

I tried looking for similar issues and found mostly people who were having boot problems, or the computer shutting down with no warning. This happens to me only when the computer is left without mouse or keyboard input for several minutes. Then, instead of shutting the display off and continuing to run the programs SOMETHING in my system triggers it to shut down and it starts closing all programs. Often it gets stuck while doing this but the damage is done either way.

How do I keep my programs running? Thanks in advance to those who take the time to help me out with this issue!
😊

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:55 AM

5 replies

May 25, 2015 12:28 PM in response to futurebird

See if any of the following helps:

User Tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603
iMac SMC and PRAM reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964 Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

============

Set up your Energy Saver settings to the way you want.

Option key>Finder>Go>Library>Preferences. Trash the com.apple.finder.plist file & the com.apple.systempreferences.plist file. Repair permissions & restart your computer.

If your comp works the way you want, empty the trash. The plist files will be recreated.

============

Yosemite OSX 10.10.3

Conflicting info: Per your profile, OS X Yosemite (10.10).

Please update/correct your profile so that you can receive the correct troubleshooting suggestions. This will assist the users in trying to help you. Thank you.

User uploaded file

May 25, 2015 12:59 PM in response to futurebird

futurebird wrote:

Conflicting info: Per your profile, OS X Yosemite (10.10).

Please update/correct your profile so that you can receive the correct troubleshooting suggestions. This will assist the users in trying to help you. Thank you.

Um. 10.10.3 is not an option all options only have the first two parts of the version number.

Yes it is:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac tries to quit programs and restart whenever it puts the display to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.