Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme is not visible as a WiFi network with constant amber light. Unable to connect to Airport Utility on the iMac

Airport Extreme is not visible as a WiFi network with constant amber light. I tried to access through Airport Utility on the iMac but also was not visible. I tried to factory reset but it did not work.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:02 PM

6 replies

Jun 1, 2015 12:58 PM in response to mtespo

Actually this is not strictly true...

My airport extreme base station (bought 2010ish) did exactly this. I bought the current "tower" version and boxed up my Extreme. I'm electronics savvy and I wouldn't put anything in the bin without taking the lid off it. I repaired an ibook on this basis a few years ago. Apple build quality is questionable in my opinion these days.

Anyway. I took my extreme apart. I left it plugged in (its low voltage so no shock risks). everything looked in order (which I expected) but a prod of the battery (yes there is a battery in there) and suddenly the airport appeared as a network. I pulled the power, then re-plugged it and it booted up fine... I set the network up again and it is now giving me internet with no problem.

I cannot possibly say that this was the battery, but I speculate that prodding it helped.

My conclusion is that the battery may play a role in the boot up sequence. If this is the case, then perhaps the battery goes... (its a button battery) and the power fails, then a re-boot may yeild a stall because it may have lost it's settings memory. I have no idea why batteries sometimes get a kick when you prod (or spin them in the case of AA/AAA/C/D batteries)

I must add that this is a guess, but it worked for me and in my case, all was not lost.

Airport Extreme is not visible as a WiFi network with constant amber light. Unable to connect to Airport Utility on the iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.