Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone output snafu OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Hello. I have a 2009 Macbook Pro running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. In the past I had issues with my headphone jack and was able to troubleshoot it by cleaning out the jack (the tiny switch issue) and also by updating the Realtek audio drivers but I'm stumped on this one.

Symptom:

Default condition on startup is headphone jack doesn't appear in the list of output devices in Sound settings. The other two listings present are Soundflower (both 2ch and 64ch). Internal Speakers is the default and the speakers work fine. When any headphone plug is inserted into the jack, the internal speakers listing on the output devices list changes to Digital Out (built-in) and obviously no sound comes out because it's theoretically sending a digital signal out the jack. When you unplug the headphone plug there's a momentary flash of the red light inside the jack but it quickly disappears and the listing in Sound changes back to Internal Speakers which carry on just fine playing sound.

So the red light goes away like it should and I'm pretty sure I have the updated Realtek audio drivers. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:24 AM

1 reply

Headphone output snafu OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.