Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant solution for hang up at "one minute"

This isn't really a question but more of a solution. I had issues with migration assistant hanging up with that "one minute" left message even when I was using my thunderbolt technology. I suspect that there were several issues that might have been contributing to this. After waiting overnight, I chose to stop the migration using command-Q. Then, on my new Macbook Pro I wiped the hard drive clean and uploaded the OS-X. I had already completed the updates previously but unfortunately, when you stop the migration in the middle, files are still loaded onto the new machine and I could see them if I used Omni-disk. It was literally just easier to start over. So, I cleaned it off and uploaded the newest OS-X again. No problem.

After that was done, I did a few other things.

1. I went to security settings on the new machine and made any applications able to be used. On the new machine it was set to only allow those uploaded from the app store. I was using other apps on my old machine that were not from the app store and I'm thinking this might have been an issue with the migration assistant getting hung up on that part of the process.

2. I then made the sleep option on the new machine "never".

3. I disconnected it from the internet (just in case it had any bright ideas in the middle of the next migration process). I think this could have been part of the issue too with the other migration. Both machines were actively connected to the internet although, they were connected via thunderbolt so that shouldn't have caused a problem per se.

4. On the old machine I backed up my entire computer (262 gigs) onto an external hard drive that worked with thunderbolt. This took about 2 hours-ish.

5. I then used the external hard drive to migrate the data over to the new machine using migration assistant. It had zero problems whatsoever.

It worked flawlessly AND only took about one hour. Everything is there and perfect.

This process had several advantages:

1. It did not tie up my old machine for hours and hours. Even if the migration would have worked perfectly from the other computer via thunderbolt, it could have been a full day making both computers incapable of being used.

2. I could see if the hard drive was "pausing" for any length of time. If the light was flickering, I knew it was all good regardless of what the screen was saying.

3. In this moment I now have a perfect back up of my old machine and don't have to worry about wiping it to be ready to pass on to another person who would love an awesome Mac.

I hope this helps. I had not seen in any of the forum discussions that I read where anyone had mentioned the issue with the app security. And, when I backed it up directly from the external drive, migration assistant had no issue.

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:22 AM

There are no replies.

migration assistant solution for hang up at "one minute"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.