Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27-inch (late 2012) slow processing and delays

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

3.12 Fusion Drive

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

I am high school teacher and use it for editing photos, video, graphics, websites and blogs.

Started having problems with delay between actions. Started with iTunes acting slow, stopping music or movies. Eventually every time I would open a new window, program or even type something there would be a delay (spinning wheel) for seconds and sometimes up to minutes.

At first I though it was a memory clog. So, I backed up everything on an external G-Drive, dumped old programs (deleted), cleared cache, dumped old files to clear up hard drive space and RAM. I have 1.77 TB remaining out of 3.09 TB. This process took almost 4 days working 24/7 backing up and cleaning up RAM and hard drives.

It still continued to act the same way. So, I did hardware test to see if something was wrong with the RAM cards. The test (short and long) revealed no problems. Said none of the 2 8GB cards had any problems. So, I removed one card and tested. Nothing wrong. Took that card out and put the other one back in and tested. No problems.

Next I put both RAM cards back in and ran a disk repair test. The test revealed no repairs needed.

Next, I reinstalled the OS X Yosemite. After reinstall I restarted and things continued to have the same problem.

I thought, since I’ve wanting to upgrade the memory anyway I would go get to new memory cards. So, now I have 32GB RAM. After restarting I noticed a boost in speed of startup and opening programs. But at last the dreaded rainbow spinning wheel came back like before. In fact, since writing this message in notes I have the spinning wheel come up 27 times for delays of 7 to 20 seconds. Which is way better than before but shouldn’t be happening.

I have searched all over the Apple Support and Apple Support Communities. I have not found anything else I can do. Does anyone know what is wrong? Or does anyone know what I should do next? Thanks!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:35 PM

6 replies

May 25, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Cmacfarland

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 25, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Cmacfarland

What sort/brand of RAM is in your Mac?

Mac's are very picky about the brand of RAM as well as the actual RAM specs.

Do you have any "cleaning" and/or antivirus software installed on your Mac?

It would help us to help you if we could have some more technical info about your iMac.

If you like, please go ahead and download, install and run Etrecheck.

Etrecheck was developed as a simple Mac diagnostic report tool by a regular Apple Support forum user and technical support contributor named Etresoft.

Etrecheck is a small, unobstrusive app that compiles a static snapshot of your entire Mac hardware system and installed software.

This is a free app that has been honestly created to provided help in diagnosing issues with Macs running the new OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

It is not malware and can be safely downloaded and installed onto your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Copy/paste and post its report here in another reply thread so that we have a complete profile of your Mac's hardware and installed software so we can all help with your Mac performance issues. Thank You.

May 27, 2015 4:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

5/27/15 4:25:13.000 PM kernel[0]: CoreStorageGroup::completeIORequest - error 0xe00002ca detected for LVG "Macintosh HD" (9D16D9A7-0D66-4EA4-B748-052F1BA4A886), pv F6F7FF96-7015-4442-B762-3222F00ABD31, near LV byte offset = 660681433088.

5/27/15 4:25:13.000 PM kernel[0]: disk2: I/O error.

5/27/15 4:25:13.926 PM cloudd[252]: Error registering MMCS item 191598 at /Users/USER/Pictures/*/cplAT7LudcACnu48MKI+eBfH36aOiaF.mov: Error Domain=com.apple.mmcs Code=18 "Unable to calculate signature." UserInfo=0x7fff139cca30 {NSDescription=Unable to calculate signature., NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to calculate signature.}

5/27/15 4:25:13.927 PM cloudd[252]: Failed to register MMCS item <CKDMMCSItem: 0x7fff139f9ca0; itemID=191598, recordKey=resOriginalRes, path="/Users/USER/Pictures/*/cplAT7LudcACnu48MKI+eBfH36aOiaF.mov", error=<CKError 0x7fff11e7b5c0: "Unknown Error" (2022/18); Retry after 3.0 seconds>> for operation C7B47B7C-31C2-44B1-B404-61E875271BCD: <CKError 0x7fff11e7b5c0: "Unknown Error" (2022/18); Retry after 3.0 seconds>

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] ====== IDS Traffic Usage:

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] Service: com.apple.madrid

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] queries: 14

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] incoming-messages: 67

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning]

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] Service: com.apple.private.alloy.sms

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] queries: 1

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] incoming-messages: 29

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning]

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] Service: com.apple.private.alloy.continuity.activity

5/27/15 4:25:46.746 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] outgoing-messages: 1

5/27/15 4:25:46.747 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] queries: 1

5/27/15 4:25:46.747 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] incoming-messages: 1

5/27/15 4:25:46.747 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning]

5/27/15 4:25:46.747 PM identityservicesd[282]: [Warning] ====== Done

May 27, 2015 4:41 PM in response to MichelPM

Everything on my mac including the memory is factory direct from Apple. There is no adware or software cleaning apps on this computer. If there are then it must be pretty hidden not to find because I went through all applications folders, download folders and more to dump anything I knew wasn't being used or needed for this computer. All the specs I have are at the top of the original posting. Thanks!

May 27, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Cmacfarland

Adware CAN be hidden.

Do you run antivirus software?

If you do, then you need to properly uninstall it by doing a web search for finding the developer's instructions for uninstall their antivirus software.

Antivirus software is not needed on OS X and can negatively impact OS X performance.

Do you have a long list of apps launching at login/startup?

How many apps do you run simultaneously in the background? Especially given the fact you have installed the maximum 32 GBs of RAM?

Do you run any Google apps?

Ditch ALL Googlewares. They are ALL a serious resource hogs on the OS X system.

The additional benefit is that you'll stop Google from mining your data when you surf the web

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375081?hl=en

If you do not like Apple's Safari web browser, download, install and try Mozilla FireFox, instead.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox

The current, up-to-date version of FireFox is fully compatible with OS X and is regularly updated by the great developers of the Mozilla group.

I have, also, stopped using the Google search engine regularly (due to Google's privacy policies or lack thereof) and I now use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine.

Do you run any backup software?

Do you run any banking software, like Trusteer Rapport which is known to run poorly on a Mac and, also, affect OS X performance.

Please run the etrecheck report as you may have items on your Mac that is causing your issues that you may not even be aware of.

May 27, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Cmacfarland

One of the internal drives is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

iMac 27-inch (late 2012) slow processing and delays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.