Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HBO Now streaming problems - "Error occurred while loading this content"

I have a latest generation Apple TV (got it when they announced the exclusive HBO Now). I used it for several weeks without any issues, but this week it is constantly giving me the "error occured while loading this content" while streaming Game of Thrones and other HBO Now content. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it happens after 5 minutes. But I can't make it through an entire episode without the error. I DO NOT seem to have this issue with Netflix.

The only way to "fix" the issue is to do a hard-reboot (unplug and plug) of the Apple TV, and only then it will work for 30-40 minutes before giving me the error again. Very frustrating.

I am using Comcast high speed internet, using the modem/wireless router combo that they supplied. I have tried a Wi-Fi connection and a wired connection. The Apple TV is literally 5 feet from my router/modem. The Apple TV passes the network test about 75% of the time; other times I get an "cannot contact Apple" error.

Has anyone had this occur and what has worked? I never have issues with streaming or downloading on my computer or iPad, so I'm hesitant to blame Comcast completely (though it is tempting!).

Thanks.

AppleTV 2

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 2:10 PM

I Am also experiencing the same problems- here it's Memorial Day- and I had no problems until today-thank God I was able to watch game of thrones yesterday-because now any content i try to watch shows the message "an error occurred loading this content"

i tried the usual- unplugged the Apple TV and rebooted- and yes it has current software. I also checked Comcast internet speed and no problems there either - I'm getting 25-35 mb/s, so NOT an Internet problem- all other apps including iTunes purchased video media downloading streams fine. I'm no expert, but it looks like an HBO problem- possibly due to the Memorial Day weekend with multiple users on thier servers- I'm only guessing here- I mean this HBO NOW is a new product- hopefully there is a fix- but certainly nothing I can do- looks like HBO needs some hardware overhauling to provide this service that they offer to millions that own an apple product-

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 2:10 PM in response to doombot813

I Am also experiencing the same problems- here it's Memorial Day- and I had no problems until today-thank God I was able to watch game of thrones yesterday-because now any content i try to watch shows the message "an error occurred loading this content"

i tried the usual- unplugged the Apple TV and rebooted- and yes it has current software. I also checked Comcast internet speed and no problems there either - I'm getting 25-35 mb/s, so NOT an Internet problem- all other apps including iTunes purchased video media downloading streams fine. I'm no expert, but it looks like an HBO problem- possibly due to the Memorial Day weekend with multiple users on thier servers- I'm only guessing here- I mean this HBO NOW is a new product- hopefully there is a fix- but certainly nothing I can do- looks like HBO needs some hardware overhauling to provide this service that they offer to millions that own an apple product-

Jun 1, 2015 6:21 PM in response to doombot813

I have the same issues with HBO Now, and Watch ESPN is also very flakey. However, Netflix seems to work perfectly on my Apple TV. My other Apple devices, Macbook Air, iPhone and iPad all work fine on my wireless network. I've tired all the typical remedies such as unplugging the device, restarting the device, and unplugging my router and modem. Nothing seems to help. I end up using my Roku box for Watch ESPN and it works just fine. I also use my Roku box for SlingTV and I don't have any issues with that.

Jun 23, 2015 8:19 PM in response to doombot813

I too am having similar problems for about a week with HBO Now on Apple TV. It sometimes fails to find a series show or says it is unavailable. It pauses every minute or so for a minute or more. It is also general very slow to navigate. I'm going to stop receiving it as it isn't worth the frustration. I have a ROKU streamer in the same location within 2 inches of the Apple TV, and about 2 feet from the AT&T router, and it functions without any issues although I don't use it for HBO Now.

There seems to be an additional problem which began this evening. It is that the Apple TV device drops WIFI connection and then has trouble reconnecting. Again, the ROKU doesn't have the problem.

I have my suspicions about the first problem and that is that either HBO or Apple TV can not support the data throughput rate.

Does anyone have an idea what to do?

Thanks,

Bob

P.S.

A new error is occurring. While playing the HBO Now video, a message "An error occurred while loading this content. Try again later." appears.

HBO Now streaming problems - "Error occurred while loading this content"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.