Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme Question from Novice

i apologize in advance for my ignorance but I am looking for help. I live live in an old house (150+ years old) that is solid. after years of spotty wi-fi we hired the local tech wiz who moved our cable box (Arris TG 862) from the downstairs den to our bedroom. He also added two Airport Extremes, one in the bedroom and another in the kitchen. The wi-if worked okay for a few days then the signal on the cable box disappeared. Comcast came and did something to restore the signal but now the Extreme in the bedroom is yellow while the Extreme in the kitchen is green.

i just downloaded the Airport Utility app But all that shows is the internet up top with a green light, a line down to the bedroom Extreme with a yellow light and the number 1 in a red circle then a line to the kitchen Extreme with a green light. The wi-if works well for the most part except that it fades on our iMac, which is in the room where the cable modem was origina located.

My question is what do I do to get the upstairs Extreme light to go green? I do not see any controls on the app and would assume it may involve renewing the lease (albeit I have no idea what that means).

i appreciate any guidance.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on May 25, 2015 1:56 PM

8 replies

May 25, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Chef228

A few questions if you don't mind:

• Your Arris cable box is a combination modem & router. How were both AirPort Extreme base stations connected to that device? By wire or wireless?
  • What exact models are both Extremes?
  • In the AirPort Utility are the lines between the Internet and the Extremes solid or dotted?
  • If you select the bedroom Extreme in the utility what error message does it give you for that single yellow circle?

May 25, 2015 6:02 PM in response to Tesserax

1. The upstairs Extreme is connected by wire whereas the downstairs one is wireless.

2. I honestly do not know what models they are although the fine print on the bottom appears to say Model A1521.

3. Solid lines.

4. When I click on that all I get is a box that says network, hardware info and enter password. When I enter the password nothing happens.

May 25, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Chef228

1. The upstairs Extreme is connected by wire whereas the downstairs one is wireless.

I'm going to assume that your "local tech wiz" configured your upstairs Extreme to be extended by the one that is placed downstairs. Since your Arris gateway also provides wireless, I am going to further assume that he also disabled the Wi-Fi radio on that device.

2. I honestly do not know what models they are although the fine print on the bottom appears to say Model A1521.

That helped. You have the latest model 802.11ac AirPorts. They should look like little white towers.

3. Solid lines.

Interestingly solid lines would indicate that the connections are wired. I would expect a dotted line between the Extremes. Is this not the case?

4. When I click on that all I get is a box that says network, hardware info and enter password. When I enter the password nothing happens.

Using your iMac, hold down the option key and then double-click on the upstairs Extreme in the AirPort Utility. On the Summary tab the yellow dot should now appear and there should be an error message with it. Please post what it says.

AirPort Extreme Question from Novice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.