Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import iPhotos library into the new Photos for Mac app

I have not imported any photos into my Mac for more than a year. I recently discovered that Apple converted to Photos app. When I started it up for the first time, I imported all of my photos from Aperture. I also have photos stored in iPhoto. How do I import my photos from my old iPhoto app?

Posted on May 25, 2015 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:00 PM

When you started Photos for the first time, it created a Photos library from the last photo library you opened. That was probably your Aperture library. To convert your iPhoto Library as well, drag the iphoto Library to the Photos icon on the Dock.

However, Photos cannot merge libraries, like Aperture can. You cannot import the iPhoto Library into your current photo library.

If you want to merge your libraries, do it in Aperture before converting the libraries to Photos. Aperture can import your iPhoto Library into your Aperture library (Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries). Then migrate the merged library to Photos by dragging it onto the Photos icon.

Have you update dot the Yosemite compatible versions of iPhoto and Aperture?

See this User Tip: Updating to Aperture 3.6 After the Release of Photos

And:
Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 12:00 PM in response to mhii

When you started Photos for the first time, it created a Photos library from the last photo library you opened. That was probably your Aperture library. To convert your iPhoto Library as well, drag the iphoto Library to the Photos icon on the Dock.

However, Photos cannot merge libraries, like Aperture can. You cannot import the iPhoto Library into your current photo library.

If you want to merge your libraries, do it in Aperture before converting the libraries to Photos. Aperture can import your iPhoto Library into your Aperture library (Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries). Then migrate the merged library to Photos by dragging it onto the Photos icon.

Have you update dot the Yosemite compatible versions of iPhoto and Aperture?

See this User Tip: Updating to Aperture 3.6 After the Release of Photos

And:
Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

How do I import iPhotos library into the new Photos for Mac app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.