Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I seeing my wifes call history and missed calls on my iphone?

For the past few days I am seeing my wifes call history and missed calls on my iphone. We are on the same icloud account, but have been for three years without problem. Neither of us have made any changes to the settings. It's only working in one direction; my wife does not see my call history. Any ideas?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 10:48 AM

The "issue" is a direct result of sharing an iCloud account. Don't do that. There is no reason to do that. iCloud accounts are not meant to be shared. There are ways to work around it, but those are band-aids.

20 replies

May 27, 2015 10:52 AM in response to thecrawford06

thecrawford06 wrote:

I wish Apple would weigh in on this problem. It is clear many people are having the same issue!!

You will not see Apple "weigh in" on this here, since this is a user to user support forum. However, as KiltedTim indicated, it has to do with your iCloud ID, being on the same Wi-Fi and Continuity. Apple has provided information about continuity and here is a link. Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity - Apple Support

May 27, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Doinmeedin

So here is my question. Haven't seen this anywhere yet. The only thing we use an icloud account for is itunes and apps. Facetime, SMS, and others are per persons iCloud account. This way we share the same apps and music but can each facetime/message each other. Each persons device (we all have iphone and an ipad) are setup with their personal iCloud account and continuity is working just fine between them. This history issue has never happened until a couple weeks ago.

May 27, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Akinayr

Akinayr wrote:

So here is my question. Haven't seen this anywhere yet. The only thing we use an icloud account for is itunes and apps.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, and wrong. You use an Apple ID for iTunes and Apps. iCloud is a different animal entirely. An iCloud account is tied to an Apple ID, but it is NOT the same thing.

iCloud is used for syncing information (contacts, calendars, etc.) among multiple devices via the cloud. It is also used for services like FaceTime, and iMessage, PhotoStream, as well as FindMyiPhone and I'm sure a few other things I'm forgetting right now.

You do NOT need to set up the same iCloud account on multiple devices in order to access content purchased from iTunes and the app store using a common ID. There are multiple ways to deal with that.

iCloud accounts are personal. They should NOT be shared.

May 28, 2015 1:27 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for all of the advice. I understand the recommendation not to share an iCloud account and I am using the "band aids" to get it to work. Nothing is shared between devices other than contacts and photo stream from my wife's iPhone to an iPad and all devices have find my iPhone switched on. My question is more "why has this just started happening?" It's been OK for three years and I've made absolutely no changes to any of the devices. Weird!

May 28, 2015 5:11 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

OK, So I think it was to do with hand-off. After me saying no changes were made, I had actually turned on bluetooth on my wife's phone. It seems that if the sun is aligned with the wifi at the same time as the bluetooth is pointing North then all conditions are satisfied for Handoff. Anyway bluetooth is off and handoff is switched off in settings>general>handoff & suggested apps. Thanks to all

Why am I seeing my wifes call history and missed calls on my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.