Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone else had issues with their iPhone using an insane amount of data?

A few months ago, I upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus. Since upgrading I have been burning through an insane amount of data. I am using my phone no differently than I had used my phones in the past. Verizon was able to look up my usage and see abnormal usage, like my phone using 2.5 GB of data in one split second. They had no explanation for why this is happening, so they tried switching out my SIM card with a new one. But that apparently did not work as I am still having this problem. I can't continue on having $600-$800 phone bills because of crazy data charges. Does anyone have ANY suggestions for what might be causing this problem? I am contemplating a trip to the Apple Store to have the Genius's at the Genius Bar take a look at it.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3, 128GB Space Gray 6 Plus

Posted on May 25, 2015 12:52 PM

9 replies

May 25, 2015 12:58 PM in response to CrazyiPhoneData

What kind of apps and things do you have on your device? Did you restore this device from an older device? Have you tried restoring this device as new and not adding any content back to it and testing it? What kind of things are showing as using data when you go to Settings>General>Cellular. The apps listed there will show how much data they have used over the period since the list was last reset.

May 25, 2015 1:22 PM in response to CrazyiPhoneData

CrazyiPhoneData wrote:

A few months ago, I upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus. Since upgrading I have been burning through an insane amount of data. I am using my phone no differently than I had used my phones in the past. Verizon was able to look up my usage and see abnormal usage, like my phone using 2.5 GB of data in one split second. They had no explanation for why this is happening, so they tried switching out my SIM card with a new one. But that apparently did not work as I am still having this problem. I can't continue on having $600-$800 phone bills because of crazy data charges. Does anyone have ANY suggestions for what might be causing this problem? I am contemplating a trip to the Apple Store to have the Genius's at the Genius Bar take a look at it.

It is not possible to use 2.5GB of data in a split second. Even Verizon's network at its best can't get past 20 Mbps, which translates to 2 MB in a second. So if that is literally what they said, their billing system is seriously screwed up. And Verizon's wired FiOS network is only 50 Mbps, or 5 MB in a "split second. And even the fastest network in the world, Google's gigabit fiber, couldn't push that much data in a second.

May 25, 2015 2:26 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I Checked through all the app data in the cellular settings. The App Storr showed the most used data at 483 MB. I Went through apps like Facebook and Instagram and made sure that the Autoplay for videos is turned off. Ive done everything I know to do to limit the data usage. When I got this phone I set it up as a new phone, alsi I have reset the phone hoping that would help.

May 25, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thats just what I was told. I did not think it made much sense. A few weeks ago I got a text message that I used 5 GB more than my alloted amount of data, then 15 minutes later I got another message that I used 6 GB more than my alloted amount of data. I really don't understand how it's happening. I try to use wifi anywhere it is available.

May 25, 2015 5:46 PM in response to CrazyiPhoneData

CrazyiPhoneData wrote:

I Checked through all the app data in the cellular settings. The App Storr showed the most used data at 483 MB. I Went through apps like Facebook and Instagram and made sure that the Autoplay for videos is turned off. Ive done everything I know to do to limit the data usage. When I got this phone I set it up as a new phone, alsi I have reset the phone hoping that would help.

Well, 483MB of data is no where near a $600-$800 phone bill, nor 2.5GB worth of data. Given what you say you witness on the phone and what you are saying from Verizon, something doesn't seem to match. But, it is hard to say who is being honest about this. I guess I would first ask when you reset the counter on your phone to track your data. Remember, your phone bill has a billing cycle, so you would have to try and match that to see how close your phone estimate is to what Verizon reports.

What other troubleshooting have you done on the phone? Have you restored it? Have you tried it without any other applications installed?

May 26, 2015 6:49 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I reset my counter when my billing cycle reset, the phone said I used 6.7 GB of data and Verizon is saying I used 20.683 GB. My other phone used 1.859 GB and my wife's phone used 1.322 GB of data. I use my other line just as much as I use my iPhone and its data is significantly less that my iPhone. I have restored it multiple times. I am just going to go to Apple later this week and see what they say. Something isn't right, I have never in my life had data charges this high.

Has anyone else had issues with their iPhone using an insane amount of data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.