Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Delete iphoto library after migration to Photos Library in iCloud?

I have about 13GB of photos in iPhoto Library after years of collection (that I don't want to lose!). Now I am using iCloud Library--- and have my photos in there. Can I now DELETE iPhoto Library from my Pictures Folder--- now that presumably all my precious photos are in the Cloud?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:37 AM

I'd wait a bit, until you have thoroughly tested the migrated photo library and are very sure, all images migrated correctly and you do not need to repeat the migration. And you may want to fall back on iPhoto from time to time, for all the features that are missing in Photos.

See Old Toad's User Tip:

Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities

Deleting the iphoto Library will only make it harder to revert to iPhoto, but gain you nothing, since Photos and iPhoto are sharing the original image files, so you will not free much storage by deleting the iPhoto library, see this link: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Steve@ Dad's Pad

I'd wait a bit, until you have thoroughly tested the migrated photo library and are very sure, all images migrated correctly and you do not need to repeat the migration. And you may want to fall back on iPhoto from time to time, for all the features that are missing in Photos.

See Old Toad's User Tip:

Photos vs iPhoto: Features and Capabilities

Deleting the iphoto Library will only make it harder to revert to iPhoto, but gain you nothing, since Photos and iPhoto are sharing the original image files, so you will not free much storage by deleting the iPhoto library, see this link: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Can I Delete iphoto library after migration to Photos Library in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.