Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this mean: AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED?

My Macbook Pro 15", late 2011, 500 GB, OS 10.7.5 with 16 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3, of late is dealing with recurring kernel panics. Strange errors happen which result it to be shut down. Initially, a few months back, it would happen, once in a month or so, and then...it became multiple times in a day. And one of the strange things - it would open to a black screen; I wasn't able to see anything till I shut down, waited for 20-odd minutes and then restarted to the proper screen.

As no resets (PRAM etc.) helped I reinstalled the OS. On the very first attempt it got a kernel panic and it again opened to a black screen. However next time it started properly I didn't have any issues till another two weeks. I noticed that once I tried opening an image on Google Photos (on Chrome) made the kernel panic reappear, and when I went to Safari and tried opening a video same happened. It's a bit unpredictable. Sometimes it works and then it can suddenly throw the message to shut down.

For the past few times I started noting down the report, and noticed this issue every time: AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED. My Mac was under warranty and this problem resurfaced when it got over. And since I have heard how expensive the graphic card replacement (in India) can be I am really dreading taking it to a Apple center, who anyway charge to touch / diagnose the problem. Yes, if you go for replacement then that charge is not considered but replacement cost is extremely steep.

I did come across an article, which talked about 2011 MBP having some built-in issue, but Apple isn't doing any thing. My budget is shoes-string. Reason I use MBP is for Final Cut; that too as I have FCP 6.6 I don't dare upgrade from OS Lion, and I stick to that.

I wonder if some folks have experienced this issue - AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED, and how did they manage to resolve. I need to figure out my road ahead and I need to be clear on my options, which is critical as extra expenses isn't easy for me to bear. Worst part, what happens if some problems recur or something happens, which I have experienced in the past.

The problems that I faced were never experienced by Apple service people. Sometimes they changed the logic board, sometimes did other stuff, but problems kept on happening. When in warranty it was all fine, but now...I am kind of freaking out.

I also experienced some other strange issues like transferring (media) files from external drive to Mac or vice-versa and the folder would just vanish! And the transfer would stop mid-way. Again, it doesn't happen every time.

Last two panics happened, which I tried opening another media file - the moment I clicked the cursor on the file, the kernel panic shut down message appears. And...in the past I have used the same file; had never any problem in viewing the file.

Any views, insight on this issue would be welcome. Thanks.

Here's the initial part of the report:

Interval Since Last Panic Report: 197141 sec

Panics Since Last Report: 3

Anonymous UUID: 76892D01-0C8E-4A4C-8042-760CC5080D06

Mon May 25 23:06:51 2015

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f81fbd851): "AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED : rdar://7254528"@/SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.1.33/s rc/AppleMuxControl/../logSupport/../AppleMuxControl/kext/AGCPowerManagement.cpp: 980

Backtrace (CPU 2), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff81cfd5be60 : 0xffffff8000220792

0xffffff81cfd5bee0 : 0xffffff7f81fbd851

0xffffff81cfd5bf20 : 0xffffff7f81fbf9de

0xffffff81cfd5bf40 : 0xffffff800063fc01

0xffffff81cfd5bf70 : 0xffffff800023dbbc

0xffffff81cfd5bfb0 : 0xffffff8000820057

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 16 GB RAM; 500 GB HDD

Posted on May 25, 2015 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 2:15 AM

Hi, I have the same MBP and recently experiencing the same error. I get the 'processing wheel' instead of mouse pointer just before the crash. I will monitor and report back but always seems to happen when using a browser. CB

4 replies

What does this mean: AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.