Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(White Screen of Death) I've been at for a couple hours now

Howdy,

My buddy's MacBook Pro (Late 2008) is experiencing the white screen of death. He bought the thing off of it's previous owner a few years ago and has no recovery disk or OS hardcopy.

I was tooling around with it just prior to the white screen. He's always used the old owner's account and didn't Recieve any updates for about 4 years due to passcode verification he didn't have. I made his account an admin and removed the other two, and I set safari to auto-start. Plus updated his Adobe and OS. That's about it, it was pretty much a vanilla system, just lacking a complete hard drive format.

That's when he turned it back on and found the white screen.

I've tried every startup command I can think of. The only thing that has any effect is holding down option after restart, it pops the mouse cursor onto the screen, and it moves totally normally. but Internet recovery just blinks the earth symbol signaling (I think) a poor connection, whether it's hard-wired into a router or right next to the wireless router that it already has granted access to.

Any ideas? I'd really prefer to finish this tonight and not have to run to the Genius Bar tomorrow.

Thanks!

Jeff

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 25, 2015 2:31 PM

1 reply

May 25, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Jeff Zulka

The drive must be completely wiped, a fresh copy of Snow Leopard installed, then install software he has purchased from the App Store and/or has his own license to use.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store. Access to the App Store enables you to download Mavericks if your computer meets the requirements.

Snow Leopard General Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider;

fees may apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s iCloud services; fees and

terms apply.

(White Screen of Death) I've been at for a couple hours now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.