Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to configure the AirPort Extreme to a Fios Actiontec router?

I've been researching all over the Internet to find out the best way to configure the AirPort Extreme behind my Verizon Fios ActionTec router. I've seen various suggestions, but I would like confirmation. Some say to set it up in Bridge mode, others say not to. I have STB, Phone and Internet, so I'm loathe to mess with the Fios software (unless it's absolutely necessary) for fear I might mess up the TV reception and my husband would go nuts. In regard to setting it up in Bridge, do I attach it to the ActionTec before I set it up as a Bridge or after I set it up? I'm supposed to receive it via mail soon, so I hope to be prepared ahead of time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:52 PM

Don't let all the jargon confuse you. The "best" way to set up the AirPort Extreme behind a Verizon router is also the "simplest" way.

When you use Apple's configuration "wizard", the software will automatically configure the AirPort Extreme using the correct settings. Later on, you can go back and look at the settings if you wish.

You will need an Ethernet cable to connect permanently from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the Verizon router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

You can use the iPad for the setup, or a Mac running a recent operating system.

Are you ready?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 3:52 PM in response to marciafromchino

Don't let all the jargon confuse you. The "best" way to set up the AirPort Extreme behind a Verizon router is also the "simplest" way.

When you use Apple's configuration "wizard", the software will automatically configure the AirPort Extreme using the correct settings. Later on, you can go back and look at the settings if you wish.

You will need an Ethernet cable to connect permanently from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the Verizon router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

You can use the iPad for the setup, or a Mac running a recent operating system.

Are you ready?

May 25, 2015 5:55 PM in response to marciafromchino

First, I assume that the AirPort Extreme is "new" with factory default settings, correct? If not, power up the AirPort Extreme for a minute or two, then hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Extreme for 7-8 seconds or so, and release. Allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light. Then, power off the AirPort.

With the AirPort powered off, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Verizon router....it does not matter which one you choose..... to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort.

Power up the AirPort and let it run a minute or two.

If you are going to use an iPhone or iPad for the setup......

Tap Settings (gear icon on the home screen)

Tap WiFi

Look for a listing of Setup New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Extreme. The example below shows an AirPort Express. You will see AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

If you are going to use a Mac running a current or recent operating system......

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Extreme

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running. It will take a minute to analyze the network, then present a screen that looks similar to this, except that you will see a picture of the AirPort Extreme

User uploaded file

Network Name...........Type in a short, simple name that you want to use for the wireless network. Don't use Apple's suggestion here.

Base Station Name....Type in a short, simple name that you want to call the AirPort Extreme. Don't use Apple's suggestion

Password...................Type in a password that will be used for both the wireless network and base station

Verify..........................Type in the password again to confirm

Click Next

The "wizard" will set up everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done, and you are done, and the AirPort Extreme will display a green light.

Now you can log on to the network that you named and enter the password to connect.

If you are curious and want to see the settings that the "wizard"' used during the setup, you can use AirPort Utility on your Mac to take a look at things. If you want to use the iPad to do the same, you will need to download and install AirPort Utility, if you have not already done so. The link is https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530?mt=8

If you are interested in a more complicated way to set up the AirPort Extreme, which will produce a network error that you will have to ignore (and hope does not cause problems), we can discuss that, but I generally do not recommend this type of setup since it can produce some unpredictable results.

In the case of networking, it is the simple networks that always seem to work the best, and operate the most reliably.

What is the best way to configure the AirPort Extreme to a Fios Actiontec router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.