Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have lost all my photos when updated to OS X Yosemite. Can somebody help please?

These are the details of my computer: I have recently updated (1st time ever) to OS X Yosemite. I did not back up any of my stuff and now have lost all of my photos. iPhoto does not exist anymore and I cannot seem to find it on the app store to update (I think it already came installed on the mac) Please could somebody help me get back my photos? There is over 4 years missing. Thanks in advance for all your help. User uploaded file

Posted on May 25, 2015 1:55 PM

29 replies

May 25, 2015 1:59 PM in response to spikeybrew

You now use a different application called, Photos. It is in your Applications folder. Your old iPhoto Library is still in the /Home/Pictures/ folder. To get a version of iPhoto that still works see the following:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 25, 2015 2:06 PM in response to spikeybrew

How did you update to Yosemite?

The update to Yosemite does not delete iPhoto, it will just remove the iPhoto icon from the Dock. Have you checked, if iPhoto is still n the Applications folder, where it should be? Then drag the icon back to the Dock and you should be able to use it again.

If you did not update to iphoto 9.6.1, before you updated to Yosemite, the iPhoto icon will be crossed out , because it is not compatible. Then update iPhoto by reinstalling.

To update see this User Tip: See: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

If you cannot update to version 9.6.1, because you never updated from the App Store, migrate your iPhoto library to Photos.

Drag the iPhoto library onto the Photos icon in the Dock. Your iPhoto Library should be in the Pictures folder.

May 26, 2015 9:42 AM in response to spikeybrew

First go to Photos' general preference pane and check to see if you're runing a managed or referenced library:

User uploaded file

If this checkbox is checked it's a managed library. What is it?

If managed Control (right) - click on your Photos library package and select Show Package Contents from the contextual menu.

User uploaded file

Locate the Master folder and look inside to see if you can find the missing photos.

User uploaded file

Do no move or rename any files/folder but just look to confirm that the photos are there or not.

If you find the missing photos there close the package a launch Photos with the Command+Option keys held down and repair the library. Check to see if the missing photos are not visible.

I have lost all my photos when updated to OS X Yosemite. Can somebody help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.