Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to create 2 networks with 2 Airports and one modem (cascading)

I have one modem plugged into a switch and two Airport Extreme (A 1521) plugged into that switch.

I am trying to create 2 independent networks rather than extend the first one. I read that this is called cascading.

I am currently using a switch to plug in both Airports. My first network works perfectly fine. I was able to extend the network using this configuration however i don't want to extend it.

When i try to create a new network for my second Airport, i get two error "No DNS Servers" and "Internet Connection"

Please help...

Posted on May 25, 2015 4:04 PM

5 replies

May 25, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Loonyg

If you have a simple modem......your network must NOT look like this:

Modem > Switch > Devices

If you have a modem/router......your network can look like this:

Modem/Router > Switch > Devices

So, the first question here....before anything else can be done....is to find out whether you have a simple modem or a modem/router. If you are not sure, post back with the make and model number of the "modem".

May 25, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Bob Timmons

That's what i had done initially but I ran some speed tests and felt this setup was not optimizing my speed split up. I used to have 15 devices connected to 1 AE and at times the network felt slow though we have 100mbs.

I decide to buy a second AE to declutter the first one.

Is there no speed loss in doing a network extension vs. splitting the juice with a switch? I'm a complete noob to networking so all of these assumptions are just based on guesstimates.

Thanks

May 25, 2015 4:37 PM in response to Loonyg

Use two AirPort Extremes if you have two separate areas that need to have wireless coverage. If both AirPort Extremes are in the same area, it won't make much difference whether you use one AirPort or two.

Everything on the network must share the same 100 Mbps. Things are not going to speed up unless you bump up the 100 Mbps to 150 or 200.

I want to create 2 networks with 2 Airports and one modem (cascading)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.