Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with properly updating software on MacBook n iPhone 4

I'm finally updating to a new iphone 6 from an iphone 4 that has never had software upgrades due to fear of glitches I often hear about after software downloads. I do not want to lose my notes, pics, contacts, voice recordings, etc., from my iphone 4.

Also, need help for proper steps to update my 2010 MacBook which has not been updated for same reasons. My MacBook OSX version is 10.8.5, Safari is 6.0.5

iPhone 4 "version 6.1.3.

Also, i get this message when I sign in to my email account: "This version of Safari is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser"

My daughter updated her year old macbook and now is slow to turn on.

I also would like help in how to back up the information I do not want to lose stored on iphone 4. Do I need to upgrade software on MacBook first then back up phone then upgrade iphone 4? How do I transfer backed up info to new iphone 6 and not transfer glitches? Not sure I'm asking the right questions. Thank you for your assistance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8), no software updates

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2015 2:21 AM

To update OSX first backup all your data. For how to update see:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

If you do not update to Yosemite you can use another browser like FireFox or Chrome since they are fully updated. Apple is no longer updating Safari for 10.8.5.

To move info to the new phone see:

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Again, backup the old phone to both iCloud and iTunes before your do the transfer.

You can do the phone transfer before or after updating OSX. I would do it after.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2015 2:21 AM in response to norafromcoral springs

To update OSX first backup all your data. For how to update see:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

If you do not update to Yosemite you can use another browser like FireFox or Chrome since they are fully updated. Apple is no longer updating Safari for 10.8.5.

To move info to the new phone see:

iOS: Transferring information from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device

Again, backup the old phone to both iCloud and iTunes before your do the transfer.

You can do the phone transfer before or after updating OSX. I would do it after.

Jun 6, 2015 9:27 AM in response to norafromcoral springs

Once my iphone 4 data is backed up on itunes How do I access it to tranfer to new iPhone 6? Am I able to pick and choose what I want transferred? If

I don't transfer info from i4 to i6 am I able to transfer info after activating i6 or later time? How do I avoid transferring any possible glitches that may exist on i4 to i6. What is safest way to transfer. Sorry you can tell I'm not at all tech savvy. Thank you for your help

Jun 6, 2015 9:33 AM in response to norafromcoral springs

If you go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices you will see a list of the backup available.

For each device only one backup is maintained. When you subsequently backup a device the last update is modified with the changes.

Each device has their own backup.

After you backup the old phone just do not back it up since it overwrite the previous backup.

When you restore a device from backup, if you have more than one backup available iTunes will ask which backup you want to to use to restore from

Help with properly updating software on MacBook n iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.