Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans running loud

Hi! So, my fans are running really loud from the moment I start up my iMac '09, SSD installed, and I'm typing this really fast because my computer tends to shut down (only starting with the fan issue). I've tried SMC resets and PRAM resets and SafeMode cache clearing, nothing works. What do I do?

iMac, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:03 PM

3 replies

May 25, 2015 3:05 PM in response to LupesPietates

Runaway applications can shorten battery runtime, affect performance, and increase heat and fan acti…

Pre-Mavericks

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Mavericks and later

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the View menu. Click on the CPU tab in the toolbar. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

Fans running loud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.