Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro runs faster with HDD/SSD attached throgh USB

Had recent issues with slow computer, I came to the conclusion it was the HHD (after numerous clean installs).

After purchasing an SSD, this is what I did to install it:

• Removed HHD and replaced with SSD
  • Booted OS from HHD, attached through USB
  • Once logged in through USB, the system was working fine.

Is there something else that could be wrong besides the HDD?

Maybe the cable or something?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 4:16 PM

I once had an 2009 MBP that failed to boot. I got the flashing ? like there was no HD or OS. I swapped the drive with another, same problem. I then tried the drive cable ( https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+Hard+Drive+Cab le+Replacement/1340 ) and that took care of it. About six months later my wife's had the exact same problem. Apparently it's a common problem. I forget where I found the cable but it was less than $15... Don't pay $50 or something ridiculous like that.

I really don't know if it would cause it to run slow... It certainly seems possible but I'd also guess that it could be in the logic board. If you have another MBP or a friend with the same model, you could try swapping it to test it first.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 4:16 PM in response to 7DannyMunoz

I once had an 2009 MBP that failed to boot. I got the flashing ? like there was no HD or OS. I swapped the drive with another, same problem. I then tried the drive cable ( https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+Hard+Drive+Cab le+Replacement/1340 ) and that took care of it. About six months later my wife's had the exact same problem. Apparently it's a common problem. I forget where I found the cable but it was less than $15... Don't pay $50 or something ridiculous like that.

I really don't know if it would cause it to run slow... It certainly seems possible but I'd also guess that it could be in the logic board. If you have another MBP or a friend with the same model, you could try swapping it to test it first.

MacBook Pro runs faster with HDD/SSD attached throgh USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.