Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have airport extreme. I would like to set up a remote desktop to my Windows 7 computer. How can I set up the port mapping? I tried myself and It does not work. Can someone here post a very detailed step by step setup process?

I tried to setup a remote desktop via airport extreme, but I could not.

The following is what I did:

1) Enable the remote desktop service at my local computer:

User uploaded file

2) On my airport Extreme internet connection, DHCP tab to associate my computer's MAC address(erased here) to a Ipv4 address:

User uploaded file

3) On my airport Extreme Advanced Tap, configure a custom service for remote desktop because in the Service dropdown, I can only see file sharing or Apple Remote Desktop and save and update the router:

User uploaded file

4) On another computer, type the following from Remote Desktop Application:

<my ipaddress>:3389

I got this(erased by destination computer's ip address. IP address is using find ip address from internet and should be correct, also it is shown in airport Extreme AirPort tab):

User uploaded file

Did I miss a step or did something wrong? How can I correct it?

Thanks

Brian

iPhone 4

Posted on May 25, 2015 3:59 PM

3 replies

May 26, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you very much. I guess it has something to do with Microsoft. I went through the MS documentation and related links, I found the following:

You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

And I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. This *****! But I have a nice try.

Thank you again.

Brian

I have airport extreme. I would like to set up a remote desktop to my Windows 7 computer. How can I set up the port mapping? I tried myself and It does not work. Can someone here post a very detailed step by step setup process?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.