Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC APP STORE UPDATE PROBLEM

I can not update already pre-installed mac apps in the mac app store. The apple ID is an incorrect one and it shows up as grey and doesn't let me click it and change it. I have tried restarting my laptop and signing in and signing out of the app store. I have also tried recreating a blank receipt in the contents folder for the given application and nothing seems to work. What do I do

Posted on May 25, 2015 5:11 PM

11 replies

May 25, 2015 5:20 PM in response to 19dfagan

Is your computer purchased second hand with those applications already installed? If so then all that software requires the Apple ID and password of the person from whom you purchase it. All you can do is continue using un-updated software or wiping the hard drive, installing a version of OS X that you purchased/downloaded using your Apple ID, then purchasing any other software you wish from the App Store.

May 25, 2015 5:20 PM in response to 19dfagan

2nd hand Mac?

Preparing a 2nd Hand Mac for use -

You need to erase the HDD, reinstall the version of OS X that shipped from the factory on the Mac and then set it up as new with your own Apple ID.

User Linc Davis explains how a new owner can prepare a 2nd hand Mac for their own use.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6087156?answerId=25468326022#25468326022

May 25, 2015 5:55 PM in response to 19dfagan

"Fairly new" suggests it's purchased from a previous user, not new off the Apple Store shelf. If it truly is new from Apple and not from a prior user, then either you installed everything under a different Apple ID or the Apple vendor sold you a machine that was not freshly setup for some reason. In that case return it since it would still be under warranty if it is only 6 months old.

MAC APP STORE UPDATE PROBLEM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.