Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to home WiFi network

This may not be the best place to ask but not sure where else to go.

Will try to explain as best I can.

My WiFi network is called Homenetwork.

Recently I connected to WiFI at a friends house. Their network is also called Homenetwork.

Now, when the phone tries to connect to WiFi at home it tries to connect to Homenetwork, but the IP address it is using is the one from my friends house.

It cannot be picking up the signal from there, as the house is over a mile away.

It appears to be picking up the signal from my home network, but trying to connect with the IP address from the other network.

I tried 'Cancel This Network', but it then just reappears in 'Choose a Network'.

The problem is not my Wifi, as my iPad is connecting normally.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on May 25, 2015 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 5:52 PM

The easiest solution is to change the name of your home network. The phone cannot tell which is which, so once it has an IP address for "Homenetwork" it will continue using it. Alternatively, go to Settings/WiFi, tap on the "i" next to "Homenetwork" and tap Forget this network. But, unless you change the network name you will have to do this every time you connect to your friend's network.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Snowfog

The easiest solution is to change the name of your home network. The phone cannot tell which is which, so once it has an IP address for "Homenetwork" it will continue using it. Alternatively, go to Settings/WiFi, tap on the "i" next to "Homenetwork" and tap Forget this network. But, unless you change the network name you will have to do this every time you connect to your friend's network.

Jun 2, 2015 6:08 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Logging into D-Link and renaming the network did the trick. Thanks for the help. One small note, when I first changed the network name and tried to connect, I kept getting an Incorrect Password message. The old password seemed to be associated with the old network name. Once I logged back onto D-Link and also changed the password, everything worked fine. Thanks again.

Cannot connect to home WiFi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.