Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow internet speed when backing up

We have airport Time Capsule - 2T. I find that when Time Capsule is backing up, my internet speed and even my applications' speeds slow down considerably. Basically, Internet becomes unusable.

a. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

b. My modem has wireless access. Can I use the modem to access the internet when Time Capsule is backing up? My guess is No.

c. Can I use ethernet access via my modem when Time Capsule is backing up? Or, how about backing up using ethernet while surfing wirelessly via the modem?

d. Are there any port configurations that would improve my situation?

I am using MacBook Pro. 10.7.5, 11G63. I would like to be using 10.8.5 but Apple won't give it to me, even though they sold it to me ($20) before. I had it, but they have no record of the sale. Everyone I know who has my MacBook tried the further upgrades (free) and went back. If I upgrade, I can't go back. Any insights with this would also be appreciated.

Atlas

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 25, 2015 6:47 PM

1 reply

May 25, 2015 10:17 PM in response to Atlas

a. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Yes, because your Mac has no QOS to do low priority to backups and high priority to internet.

Local apps should not slow down.. unless they have files saved on a network resource. In which case they will.

b. My modem has wireless access. Can I use the modem to access the internet when Time Capsule is backing up? My guess is No.

You can if the TC is connected by ethernet. It is a messy but doable.

Your question c. is the same.. connect the TC by one means.. and the internet by the other and things will greatly speed up.. assuming your local disk is speedy enough.

Same with d. The port configuration is to use backups to TC and internet to modem.. !!

You do it this way.

Using Time Capsule hardwired to Mac for back-up only.

As a friend who is running ML to download it and copy it to a USB stick for you.

Slow internet speed when backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.